Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Jv16 Powertools Utility

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 solaris32

solaris32

• Members
  • 372 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:45 PM

Posted 10 July 2007 - 11:13 PM

A friend directed me to this program and it sounded cool, so I checked it out. I downloaded it, and after making a system restore checkpoint, I had it scan my system and fix any problems. It found a ton and fixed them. Not sure what all it exactly did, but after I restarted, my laptop seemed to log on a little faster. Has anyone else used this seemingly great program? When you download, it's a 30 day trial and no free version that I'm aware of. Here's a link to the developers page. Go to downloads to download it:

http://www.macecraft.com/

As another warning, be sure to make a system restore checkpoint before you run this program. And when you tell it to fix the problems, have it make a backup too. Tell me what you people think.

Edit: This program has a lot of nifty tools, like a registry compacter, file deleter for those hard-to-delete files, startup manager, and much more! I would like a professionals opinion on this program, but would love to hear other people's opinions as well.

MOD EDIT
: WARNING: Making any changes to your computers registry can cause serious harm to your operating system, including rendering it inoperable. You should use registry editors with the utmost caution and should always make a back up of your registry along with a restore point for your operating system as solaris32 has said. ~stevealmighty

Edited by solaris32, 11 July 2007 - 12:37 AM.

When I'm asking for help, please explain, in detail, every step. Thank you :).
I have nightmares about computer glitches and bugs.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Papakid

Papakid

Guru at being a Newbie

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,664 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:45 AM

Posted 11 July 2007 - 10:35 AM

Jv16 Powertools has the reputation of being the premier registry cleaning tool among technical types. It was formerly known as RegCleaner and was free up until about 3 or 4 years ago. If I remember correctly, the developer worked at Microsoft and this utility was even mentioned on some of their website. So technicians who have used this tool for years will still recommend an older version that is still free.

At the time of the conversion I was completely green at using a computer and like many newbies was convinced that there was something wrong with my registry. At a forum that no longer exists now, there was a discussion about how great Jv16 Powertools was and gave links to what was thought to be the last free version, so I gave it a try. I'm not going to relate a horror story here because despite my curiosity I didn't let it overcome my more innate sense of caution.

It is a great tool for someone who knows what they are doing with it. Parts of it can be used safely by your typical end user. But one thing I found out is that the developer must have anticipated that it would go commercial and the versions (yes, more than one) I tried turned out to be time limited. Thus any other version I tried wouldn't work after the initial trial expired.

I was too cautious to ever use the general cleaner. I scanned and looked at the entries that were tagged to be removed--very educational, but time consuming and a lot of it there is not much information on. Still I recommend that the typical average end user avoid using a general registry cleaner--no matter how good they are, they still make educated guesses and when they guess wrong so that you can't boot into Windows then the backups they make will be extremely difficult to get to.

What I found useful about the program is the part that will list software. It dosn't take much skill to know what is no longer installed on a system and using this function is generally safe. Still their are often some programs that are legit that you don't really know about, so caution should still be used here IMO.

You know I have mixed feelings about using a general reg cleaner. On the one hand, they are probably safe to use in most cases. Jv16 Powertools has been in development long enough that it should know what is safe to fix. From what I've read on the net, there is one area, I believe it is 0 byte files that are there by Windows for a reason that will show with a deep scan, that if allowed to be fixed will bork a system. But the "normal" scan should be safe in most cases and there is a little hysteria out there about modifying the registry in any way. That's a normal consequence of the relation of horror stories, but with some education (knowledge is power) so that one is not afraid of the registry, then it can be dealt with safely. One way to get started on that education is to read BC's tutorial Demystifying the Windows Registry

On the other hand there are some who are looking for a magic bullet and/or are wannabe geeks that don't know when to use the maxim, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." Commercial reg cleaners will naturally tout cleaning up the registry in order to get one to try and buy their product, but in many cases a reg cleaning is simply not necessary and will improve performance very little if at all.

There are some other misunderstandings--some people seem to think a reg cleaner will remove a malware infection. But cleaners are generally looking for orphans and entires that aren't being used--if an infection is active, then the reg entries are being used and won't show up in a reg cleaner.

Just some of my thoughts, I'm sure there are other opinions.

We always did feel the same

We just started from a different point of view

Tangled up in blue--Bob Dylan

#3 solaris32

solaris32
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 372 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2007 - 11:35 AM

Very good post, thank you :thumbsup:.

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:45 AM

Posted 11 July 2007 - 02:46 PM

I still use the original Reg Cleaner. Never seen any reason to upgrade it
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#5 I_am_CanadianEh?

I_am_CanadianEh?

• Members
  • 489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:45 AM

Posted 12 July 2007 - 10:46 PM

Here's the last freeware version (scroll down toward the middle of the page):

http://www.321download.com/LastFreeware/index.html

#6 solaris32

solaris32
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 372 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2007 - 01:51 PM

Thanks Canadian :thumbsup:.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users