Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dns Error

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 eefie

eefie

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:32 PM

Posted 10 July 2007 - 04:00 PM

I am asking this for a friend. She cannot seem to get onto yahoo or msn and keeps getting "dns error" message, what can she do?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MadDawg

MadDawg

• Members
  • 453 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:32 PM

Posted 10 July 2007 - 08:12 PM

Can she go to other sites? If she can, she's probably typing in the address wrong. If possible, try looking up yahoo and msn on google, then try to go to the sites from there.
A penguin broke my windows with a half-eaten apple!

#3 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:32 AM

Posted 10 July 2007 - 11:58 PM

If it is the DNS, try clearing the Resolver Cache. Go to Start, then Run. Type in the dialog box cmd and press enter. When the command line screen appears type in ipconfig /FlushDNS, and press enter.
Exit and try the siytes again.

IPCONFIG commands
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#4 arcman

arcman

• Members
  • 706 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:32 PM

Posted 11 July 2007 - 12:52 AM

If acklan's suggestion doesn't work it's possible that your friend's ISP's DNS servers aren't working. These are the services provided by your internet company that translate website names into actual addresses. If they're not working, you can use a different DNS service. My ISP doesn't like to assign the DNS server addresses to my DSL modem, so I just use the servers over at OpenDNS since they tend to be more reliable anyway. Here are the instructions on how to set it up: http://www.opendns.com/start/windows.php
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users