Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System32/hal.dll

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 dbonniwell

dbonniwell

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:17 AM

Posted 10 July 2007 - 03:33 PM

I installed some new hardware and defragged before this happened

I got a message that my system32/hal.dll is missing but before that I heard some hmmm noises from the inside of my computer and shut down, Hard Drive I beleive.
Now I cannot even boot up in Safe mode or get to the point to try a system recover/repair with the OS CD but because now my computer doesn't detect a HDD. how can that be? I was gamming an hour before this happened

Cannot do anything without getting the message system32/hal.dll is missing or corrupt.
OS win XP
Sata hard drives 2x80gig New since April 07
I have a feeling I am in trouble, is there any one out there that can save me or is time to buy more hard drives? Any Ideas how I can rule HDD in or out?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:17 PM

Posted 10 July 2007 - 03:37 PM

To do a system repair you need a floppy disk with the correct sata drivers on it. The hard drives are probably not bad, sata is not part of the original xp disk, since it cant find drivers to load, it wont detect the hard drives.
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#3 dbonniwell

dbonniwell
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2007 - 04:07 PM

I contacted Hitachi about that and they said they should be on the motherboard software I got. At this point how can I rule the HDD in or out?
Thanks

#4 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• Members
  • 12,944 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:17 PM

Posted 10 July 2007 - 07:05 PM

I agree with oldf@rt. Try a system repair and get the sata drivers. Without the drivers, you will never see the hard drives. With our systems at work having sata drives as a standard now, I made a slipstreamed Win XP disk with sata drivers integrated into it. (You can also integrate SP2 and other drivers / updates.) I used nLite to do mine.

"In a world where you can be anything, be yourself." ~ unknown

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

#5 dbonniwell

dbonniwell
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2007 - 09:45 PM

Not sure where to get drivers as Hitachi will not respond to my request.
will just the hal.dll file make it go?

#6 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2007 - 10:57 PM

Can you look up the downloads for your exact model at hitachi's web site? they should have the sata drivers for that computer listed there, if not give us the full specifications and we will see what we can find.

#7 dbonniwell

dbonniwell
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2007 - 03:21 AM

this is all I can find on my Hitachi drives

Hitachi HDS72168
80gig, 7200 RPM
this is for both HDDs
thanks for your help

#8 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:17 PM

Posted 11 July 2007 - 06:39 AM

Hitachi has an excellent hard drive diagnostic tool called the Drive Fitness Test that's free for downloading from their site: http://www.hitachigst.com/hdd/support/download.htm#DFT

Hitachi can't help with the SATA drivers because they're a part of your motherboard - so I'd suggest locating the make, model, and revision number of your motherboard and trying their website.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#9 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:17 AM

Posted 11 July 2007 - 07:36 AM

If all else fails, you can remove the root drive (normally C:) from your machine, configure it as a slave (not too sure if this is necessary with a SATA drive) and put it in a good machine where you can copy the good hal.dll to the faulty drive.

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

#10 dbonniwell

dbonniwell
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2007 - 01:51 PM

i have the intel cd that came with the motherboard, or do they have to be on a floppy disk to access?

#11 dbonniwell

dbonniwell
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2007 - 11:46 PM

I found the Raid drivers (On Floppy) and and along with the Xp install disk used F6 to try and get into repair/recovery and my system again told me it cannot detect any of my Hitachi HDDs. But I was able to advance further with the Raid drivers but got the same message. I pressed Rthe was asked where I want ot repair and then the message came up telling me The drives are not being detected.
I pulled the box off its shelf and took the cover off.
The connections are fine, both power and sata cables
I checked the voltage 5v and 12v as it should be.
I plugged them back in without a monitor attached and the powered up and it seemed the disk were turning. I carefully put a screwdriver to the metal plate on top of the drives and the other to my ear and listened for strange noises. on one drive there was a slight something at startup then it stopped.The other drive seemed smoother at startup. I could also feel some vibration with my fingers but perhaps that is normal. The Seagate IDE I have hooked via the PCI card was the smoothest.
Mother board is a Intel D975XBX2 (New) so are the Hitachi HDDs. If I go to Bios and look in Advance then Drive configuration and I was able to see the Hitachi drives
I am Raid 0
is there any thing else i can do?

#12 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2007 - 12:21 AM

Ouch. You will need to download the diagnostics for Hitachi Hard Drives, here.

#13 dbonniwell

dbonniwell
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2007 - 01:27 AM

That tool would be great, but under the present situation, I do not think I can boot up far enough to utilize that and figure things out.

#14 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2007 - 02:32 AM

Try the Ultimate Boot CD.

The ibm/hitachi diagnostics program is on the disk. You can also put it on a usb flash drive if your computer supports usb boot.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users