Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Spyware Terminator Find

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Keith1

Keith1

• Members
  • 504 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:21 PM

Posted 10 July 2007 - 01:35 PM

Hello - I was posed a question by someone who uses Spyware Terminator. When they ran a scan, this item was found and they are asking whether or not to allow or deny

C;\windows\INF\WPIE4X86.INF

I've researched it as much as I know how, but can't really come up with a definative answer, so I thought it best to ask here. I'm leaning towards calling it a "keeper" but I don't want to chance messing up someone elses computer.

Thank you, Keith

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:21 PM

Posted 10 July 2007 - 02:08 PM

I would need to know the full info about the file, such as what program it is linked to, etc. get a copy of the file, and most.inf files that I have seen can be opened with notepad, it should have full program information inside. then you can actually evaluate what program installation that it is linked to, and determine if it is a threat.
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#3 Keith1

Keith1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 504 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2007 - 02:21 PM

Thank you very much for the expedient reply. I'll see if I can get that information.
Keith

#4 Keith1

Keith1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 504 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2007 - 04:36 PM

Well, I got a reply back from the person I was trying to help, but not what I wanted. I guess they got impatient and instead of pursuing the item found by Spyware Terminator, they just uninstalled Spyware Terminator, then ran Adaware which came up clean and "assumed" that everything is ok.

So...... without the information you asked me to get I guess that will end this thread. I wish they would have complied because I would have learned from it also.

Anyhow, thank you very much for your help in this matter. I just wanted to let you know what transpired.

Keith

#5 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2007 - 05:10 PM

Thanks anyhow, I am a hijack this trainee also, and it was an opportunity from me also. Besides, Spyware Terminator is on the rogue list, as it is listed as not having "no trial version available [A: 2-26-05 / U: 2-26-05]", so this may be a false positive.

Edited by oldf@rt, 11 July 2007 - 05:10 PM.

#6 news4la

news4la

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:21 PM

Posted 11 July 2007 - 07:50 PM

Filename wpie4x86.inf
SHA1 Hash 3A38E75389CA5B4365A72088832D2B10537010B1
MD5 Hash 727372B61A4A76715B9F084DD951BBEE
CRC32 Hash A00249D1
Filesize 8667
Product / Version / OS / Mfg / Lang / Type "Developer Tools, Servers" / "July 2002" / "WIN" / "Microsoft" / "French, German, Italian, Spanish" / "Unknown"
Operating System WIN

Internet Explorer 4.01 For Windows 95

Edited by news4la, 11 July 2007 - 08:04 PM.

On AIR,On LINE,On THE GO!

#7 Keith1

Keith1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 504 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2007 - 08:00 PM

news4la - Thank you for the input, however, that information is way over my head. Could you please explain the implications in terms for a less experienced computer user - as far as if it is "good-or-bad".

Keith

#8 news4la

news4la

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:21 PM

Posted 11 July 2007 - 08:10 PM

Its part of the files for Internet explorer for windows 95. I found it at Microsoft own web site. As far as I know its O K.

I'm Sorry about that its the old programmer in me. Most of those numbers are what's called HEX. Its a programmers type of shorthand.

Edited by news4la, 11 July 2007 - 08:20 PM.

On AIR,On LINE,On THE GO!

#9 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2007 - 09:36 PM

That is the info that I was going to try to match from the actual file, and verify the linked dll names to verify the actual software package. If you had been able to provide the actual file, that matched that information I would have said false positive.

Hello - I was posed a question by someone who uses Spyware Terminator. When they ran a scan, this item was found and they are asking whether or not to allow or deny

just be sure to check that link that I gave you earlier to spywarewarrior.

#10 hillbillygreek

hillbillygreek

• Members
  • 397 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2007 - 10:29 PM

It was my understanding that Spyware Terminator was de-listed & thought to be safe to use.

De-listed apps from 2006

Note on Spyware Terminator

#11 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2007 - 10:36 PM

I always get nervous, as I always think the "leopards don't change their spots"

#12 hillbillygreek

hillbillygreek

• Members
  • 397 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2007 - 11:13 PM

I see your point. Many would agree with you there.

Edited by hillbillygreek, 12 July 2007 - 12:06 AM.

#13 Keith1

Keith1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 504 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2007 - 10:54 AM

Thanks for the input. I actually tried out Spyware Terminator myself about a month ago, and I wasn't happy with the results.
I first ran my Adaware SE and Spybot S&D scans, both of which came up clean. I then ran Spyware Terminator and it found two items which it listed as "critical". Both of which were false positives. Oddly, one of them was Super Antispyware ( which I keep "on board ). I just let them go, and uninstalled Spyware Terminator.
I know another person who encountered several "critical" items during a scan, which he deleted. After rebooting, he could not connect to the internet, I don't remember what error code he got. Fortunately, he regained his connection after a system restore.
I'm sure it works fine for some folks, but I personally am very leary about it.

Keith

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users