Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

internet explorer problem

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Geoff777

Geoff777

• Members
  • 235 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:49 AM

Posted 26 January 2005 - 06:16 AM

Hi all,
i am new to the site, but have already found it to be a great source of information.
The problem i am having is this;

os is 98 sec. edition,
browsers : have tried IE version6 and Firefox,

Problem: my son used AOL to connect and browse, but developed a fault (i suspect through malicious virus, where he could not browse once connected.

Gave me computer and said "see u later"

To date i have uninstalled AOL and set up internet connection with btyahoo, my connection used at home.
have uninstalled and reinstalled IE6, tried the various methods of repairing IE, as suggested in other topics, all to no avail. Installed Firefox, still cannot browse using that browser.

Installed Hijack This and followed instructions, removed all entries which included:

//213.159.117.134/index.php// but could find no files containing systime.exe

The error: using IE: web page unavailable, check browser settings.

CANNOT FIND SERVER (in top blue bar)

using Firefox: ALERT
www. mozilla.org could not be found. Please check name and try again.

If i press OK and then enter any other web address in the address bar, the same message appears with the name of the inserted web site.

|Well thats it??? I have ran out of ideas, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards Geoff :thumbsup:

//Mod edit: Executable link changed to protect others from infestation.//

Edited by KoanYorel, 26 January 2005 - 08:34 AM.

Geoff

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:49 AM

Posted 26 January 2005 - 08:00 AM

Hi Geoff777 and welcome to BC. Wish your first post was under happier circumstances.

You had better tell your son to check his phone bill. That URL goes to the home page of CoolWebSearch and that is a real nasty that is one of the hardest to get rid of. You would seem to be on broadband so you should be alright but there are two automatic dialers installed on that computer. Click on the thumbnails below.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Those two programs tried to install on my computer when I went to that URL, but they did install on your computer. That is exactly why I tell people to do the following:

For some reason Install on demand is enabled by default in IE causing problems such as yours. To protect yourself against this situation do this:

In Internet Explorer go to Tools>Internet Options>Advanced and take the check mark from Enable Install On Demand (Internet Explorer) and Enable Install On Demand (Other). The consequence of this will be that you will begin to see Security Warnings when something tries to install on your computer. Unless it is something you want to install (which happens rarely) always say no.

You need to post a HiJack This log. When you first ran HJT did you save the log? If so, post that too and mention that you made some changes.

Good luck getting rid of that.

Edited by Leurgy, 26 January 2005 - 08:03 AM.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#3 Geoff777

Geoff777
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 235 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:49 AM

Posted 26 January 2005 - 09:50 AM

Hi Leurgy copy of hijack log as requested, thanks for taking the time

regards geoff
Geoff

#4 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:49 AM

Posted 26 January 2005 - 10:01 AM

It occurs to me that if you went to that site with your computer then you will have at least the dialers on both and CoolWebSearch also on your sons if you did not see those warnings as it installs silently. On your computer be sure to run a virus scan, AdAware and Spybot and empty your Temporary Internet Files before rebooting.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#5 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Staff Emeritus
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA
  • Local time:05:49 AM

Posted 26 January 2005 - 01:56 PM

Hi Geoff777,

I split your HJT log away from this thread and put it in the HJT forum here.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/9978/hjt-log-geoff777/

Please by patient. One of the HJT team members will overview it as soon
as they can get to it.

regards,
Koan
The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users