Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Msn Issues

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Niniane

Niniane

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:16 PM

Posted 10 July 2007 - 09:08 AM

Hi,

My daughter seems to have clicked on a suspicious link in an msn message that has resulted in either a virus or spyware program being installed on our family computer. It is not possible to access most pages in Internet Explorer with the program shutting itself down almost immediately, particularly when trying to access sites such as online virus scans. Random msn messages pop up at times as do numerous copies of the same internet explorer page. I have AVG anti-virus installed as well as spybot and adaware. When I ran an AVG scan nothing was detected on the first run but on the second run a 'Hosts' virus was found and healed. Adaware found nothing but Spybot keeps finding 'FakeMSN8Beta' and 'Microsoft.WindowsSecurityCenter_disabled'. I have asked Spybot to fix the problems and it reports that it has done so, but this is not the case.
Any ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,610 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:16 AM

Posted 10 July 2007 - 10:36 AM

Use Host Expert to restore your host file if you are unable to access security programs. After downloading, select "Restore MS Hosts" - Restores the hosts file to Microsoft's original hosts file.
http://www.funkytoad.com/content/view/13/31/

Post a Hijack This log in the Hijack This Forum by following the directions in the link below. DO NOT post the log in this forum.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/34773/preparation-guide-for-use-before-using-malware-removal-tools-and-requesting-help/

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 Niniane

Niniane
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:16 PM

Posted 11 July 2007 - 07:28 AM

Thanks Buddy!

I have posted this to the HijackThis forum.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users