Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Please Help A Good Cause

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Turi

Turi

• Members
  • 316 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:27 AM

Posted 10 July 2007 - 08:58 AM

Hi all

For those of you who have read certain posts of mine, or have chatted with me via PM will understand that my Father is dying from pancreatic cancer.

This is one of the least known about cancers, but one that can affect the sufferer and their family the worst. It is such a hard cancer to locate that once the disease is detected it is often too late. In some very rare cases, an operation can go ahead, or chemo can be tried however for most affected, neither actually cure the cancer, just try to make lives easier.

My father fell in in Oct '06, and it was not discovered until April of this year, so the op was out of the question, and chemo only makes him feel a lot worse. So I have here a link to a petition to try and increase awareness of this cancer. Those who donate to cancer charities - only 4-5% of donations are applied to this cancer's research. If enough "names" are collected in this petition then we, as a community, can try and increase the awareness, and help research into finding the cancer earlier and maybe even find a way to prolong lives of the sufferers.

All I can do is hope that those reading this have a heart, and I certainly believe you do from the success of F@H !! :D

So if you do sign this petition (it doesn't matter where you reside, thankfully) I thankyou with all my heart! Post back if you have, so if you do...

:thumbsup: Thank You soOoOoOo much!! :flowers:

(I know I seem not to possess the gift of "words" and "Persuasion", but please sign. As I said, Good Deed of the Day :D :D)

Ok so enough of my psycho-babble - linky!

*** The Petition ***
Crazyness comes to those who wait

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jball007

jball007

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:27 PM

Posted 10 July 2007 - 09:25 AM

Turi I know how ya feel... I'm prayin for ur dad to get better...

as for the petition it won't let me sign it because im from the US.. but i would def. have signed it!

~Jake

"I Came to Bring The Pain"

Posted Image

System: Core 2 Duo @ 2.44, Asus WIFI P5B mobo, Radeon 1950XT gcard, 2x1GB Memory, LITE-ON x2 DVD/CD drives, Aerocool Case, AOC FC-2000 PCI Slot Case Cooler, AeroCool 92mm Heatsink W/2 80m Fans Mounted on it, (3) 120m Fans on Case, (1) 220m Fan on Case, 150g HDD 10K RPM (For random stuff), 75G HDD 15k RPM (For Gaming)... Thermaltake (4) 12v rail PSU...THE END!!

#3 Turi

Turi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 316 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2007 - 09:27 AM

Turi I know how ya feel... I'm prayin for ur dad to get better...

as for the petition it won't let me sign it because im from the US.. but i would def. have signed it!

~Jake

Poo, then the person who started the petition lied!

OK everyone in the UK please sign it!!

But thankyou very very much for trying :thumbsup:

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 PM

Posted 10 July 2007 - 11:24 AM

Hi Turi, I would love to sign your petition but it is for British citizens only and I reside in the US.

A friend that I've known for the last eighteen year lost his wife two months ago to cancer of the pancreas, it was diagnosed late as it usually is now and she went in a months time. I still have trouble comprehending it. I can't say that I know how you feel because I've never been where you are now, but I can empathize you situation. I will keep your father in my thoughts.

-Dan

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 jwinathome

jwinathome

• Members
  • 1,360 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 AM

Posted 10 July 2007 - 11:30 AM

I am in the US as well. I am terribly sorry about your father, and will pray for mercy in his dealing with it.

#6 Turi

Turi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 316 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2007 - 11:40 AM

Thank you both. No matter that you can't, I'm sure there's some British citizens around somewhere! :flowers:

Sorry to hear about your friend, dc3. My dad has been given 4-6 months, but has been really well the past 4 days :thumbsup:

However, like Shakespeare...gives with one hand, and takes with the other. It's a tough old ride but other people have been thru worse so I gotta keep my chin up and keep hunting for people!

#7 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:27 PM

Posted 10 July 2007 - 12:00 PM

Sorry to hear about your Father 'Turi' and he is in my Thoughts and Prayers.
Please keep us informed of his condition.

#8 MaraM

MaraM

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 PM

Posted 10 July 2007 - 03:40 PM

Oh Turi, I'm just so so so incredibly sorry! Huge very gentle hug!

I too can't add my name as I live in Canada - but how I hope that magic happens for your dear dad!

On a wee 'aside' - it's lovely that we can 'hold our chin up' during time of huge sadness but it's still okay to go into the washroom in the middle of the night for some 'silent screams'. Another gentle hug.
Never let your computer realize you are in a hurry or just typing the last few words of a vital document.

While outer events might make one happy or sad, happiness itself is entirely internal, and at all times completely within one's power.

#9 Turi

Turi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 316 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2007 - 04:11 PM

:flowers: Mara, my boyfriend calls me up, and when he knows I need to let it all out he tells me to cry :thumbsup: I suppose without him my chin would be far from up

#10 Iodine

Iodine

• Members
  • 265 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:27 PM

Posted 11 July 2007 - 04:32 PM

:thumbsup: Turi you know how sorry I am about your father's illness and that I keep him in my thoughts and prayers. I, like many others here at BC am unable to sign the petition. I sincerely hope that all of the signatures needed are aquired.
Tell me and I forget ;Show me and I may remember;involve me and I"ll understand.

#11 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• Members
  • 12,944 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 AM

Posted 11 July 2007 - 08:46 PM

I am very sorry to hear of your father's illness Turi. I will keep him in my prayers. Cancer knows no boundaries. I too have friends fighting for life in their cancer battle. We have come so far, but yet have so far to go for a cure. :thumbsup:

"In a world where you can be anything, be yourself." ~ unknown

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

#12 rlprlp

rlprlp

• Members
  • 198 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:27 PM

Posted 11 July 2007 - 09:13 PM

Cybertech Help Forums have a lot of members that are in the U.K. You may find some signers if you post there.

http://www.cybertechhelp.com/forums/index.php

The rules are different there. Do not mention BleepingComputer, or your post will be either locked or deleted. It is forbidden to name other help forums there. I don't know why they have that rule; it's their forum.

Sorry, but I'm American. Good luck!

EDIT: You'll probably want to post in the "The Anything Else Board" board.

Edited by rlprlp, 11 July 2007 - 09:17 PM.

#13 Turi

Turi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 316 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2007 - 04:56 AM

Thanks, I should give it a go! Just keep shtum about my love for BC!

We're having a fundraising day and I'm currently putting together this site http://www.justgiving.com/Torrens for people to donate! yay! all teams go in the battle against cancer

#14 rlprlp

rlprlp

• Members
  • 198 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:27 PM

Posted 12 July 2007 - 06:56 AM

Sorry, Turi. I meant the "Open Discussion" board, not the "The Anything Else Board" board. Hopefully, it's not too late. I'm sure a moderator there would just move your post for you, anyways.

#15 Demon Cleaner

Demon Cleaner

• Members
  • 1,383 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2007 - 03:55 PM

Sorry to hear about your father. Life can be so cruel sometimes, just spend as much time as you can with him!

By the way, signed twice! :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users