Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How Hot Is 2 Hot

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 JXBlack

JXBlack

• Members
  • 114 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:47 AM

Posted 10 July 2007 - 04:31 AM

I have an Athlon 3000+++ processor. When I bought my un branded PC about 2 years ago it came with MSI Core Center which showed the temperature of the Athlon chip. As I remember, it stayed between 32 - 34 degrees C. Lately it has been steadily rising to as much as 46 C. I took off the fan over the processor (very dirty) and cleaned out all the black dust I could.
I then open up the heat sync and put some compound on top of the chip and reassembled the fan. For the first few hours it was in the mid 30's C but now it's back into the low 40's.

#1 Any suggestions as to how to treat this problem?
#2. What is a normal temperature and when should I really start getting worried?

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:47 PM

Posted 10 July 2007 - 05:44 AM

First of all, it is the load temperature which matters, rather than the idle temperature. How hot does the processor get when it is under 100% load? I've had several Athlon XP processor get hotter as they get older.

If the temperature starts hitting 60 you can start worrying. Another thing to mention is that the temperature sensor isn't calibrated so it can be of a certain amount, so the only true test of the computer temperature is stability. If the computer is stable the temps are fine.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#3 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:47 PM

Posted 10 July 2007 - 06:44 PM

Also, keep in mind that many temperature sensors are far from accurate. For instance, my HDD's are hot, usually 50 to 54 degrees C which is just barely within the ranges for my Western Digital SATA drives. I have a case fan blowing on them and I can touch them and they feel cool. I second what Mr Alpha said, if the computer is stable the temps are fine.

3939.png

#4 NitsujX

NitsujX

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:47 PM

Posted 10 July 2007 - 06:52 PM

A REALLY easy temporary solution would be to place a fan by it while keeping the fan running.
When my CPU fan broke, I put it right next to the air conditioner until I got a new one. XD
Also, if it's heating up so much that it makes threatens the computer, do an overclock, and set it a tad bit lower. I don't think you can with an AMD Athlon + though...Cuz' my 2200+ won't overclock. D=

#5 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,389 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2007 - 06:55 PM

Why would you overclock a cpu if it's overheating. I think that would make the cpu even hotter.

#6 NitsujX

NitsujX

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2007 - 07:33 PM

I said set it a tad bit lower. XD
I don't know the term for lowering the CPU speed. >.>

#7 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,389 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2007 - 09:08 AM

Sorry, I missed that :thumbsup: Underclock?

#8 NitsujX

NitsujX

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2007 - 02:26 PM

Sure, that'll do. XD

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users