Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Reformating Hard Drive To Remove Vista

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 msmeallie

msmeallie

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:01 AM

Posted 09 July 2007 - 10:46 PM

I am trying to reformat my hard drive so I can install XP Pro, several compatibility issues with Vista. I have a Western Digital Hard drive but can not find formatting software that will remove Vista

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,612 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:01 AM

Posted 09 July 2007 - 11:18 PM

Hi msmeallie, and welcome to bleepingcomputer.com.

You can download a free trial use of Drive Wipe here.

You will need to make a CD of this, go into you BIOS and make you CD-ROM the first device in the boot order, place the CD in the drive and reboot the computer. The instructions are straight forward, you won't need more that one overwrite.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 mommabear

mommabear

• Members
  • 492 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2007 - 06:50 AM

Drive Wipe says:

# The WipeDrive Boot Diskette that you create, will work just like a fully functional version except that it is limited to wiping 25% of a selected drive.

msmeallie might want to look for something else.

#4 Monty007

Monty007

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:31 PM

Posted 10 July 2007 - 08:06 AM

Hi, you can always boot to your XP cd and format from there.
MCP
MSDST

#5 I_am_CanadianEh?

I_am_CanadianEh?

• Members
  • 489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:01 AM

Posted 10 July 2007 - 08:12 AM

Here's another great wiping program that gives you many wiping options....and it's FREE. :huh:

CopyWipe http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/copywipe.php

Use the DOS version since you want to run this utility outside of Windows. Download the archive, extract it to another folder on your hard drive. Run the makeboot.exe file and follow instructions to make a disc.

I would recommend either a bootable CD option or floppy if you have a floppy drive.

IAC.

#6 msmeallie

msmeallie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2007 - 01:28 AM

Thanks IAC, copywipe worked great. :huh:

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,612 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:01 AM

Posted 11 July 2007 - 02:53 AM

Drive Wipe says:

# The WipeDrive Boot Diskette that you create, will work just like a fully functional version except that it is limited to wiping 25% of a selected drive.

msmeallie might want to look for something else.

Thanks for the heads up mommabear, I purchased my copy and like it and had wanted to suggest it to others so I found the free trial, but I wasn't aware that it would only do a percentage of its job. :huh:

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users