Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Lost Connectivity

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 patop

patop

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:09 AM

Posted 09 July 2007 - 07:26 PM

Greetings,

My computer info is as follows: a Dell XPS 400, running Windows XP Professional sp2, 2.8 G pentium 4, 2.048 G installed memory. I use AVG 7.5476 as an antivirus, and run ad-aware se, a-squared, spybot, spyware blaster, windows defender and spyware guard. All are up to date.

All of a sudden today, the wireless connectivity on this computer disappeared - the icon wavered between marginal and no connectivity, while the computer showed that it was still connected. As this has happened occasionally in the past, I did what I ordinarily do . . . . I rebooted. But alas the same problem.

Wondering if it was the provider, I turned on my laptop. It's sitting right next to my desktop, and it is connected with a good signal strength - no problem. I called Dell (never the most satisfying experience in the world!) - went to DOS, and yes, my IP address was there and I successfully pinged 4 packets.

I turned off the computer, and went downstairs and turned off the router, and then I turned off the modem - waited. Then turned them on in reverse order, came back upstairs. Alas, same problem after rebooting the computer.

I did a system restore back to Sunday when everything was in working order. And still after all that - no connectivity.

The guy at Dell suggests that I call Lynksys. (Hmmm. The router is working just fine on the laptop, as evidenced by this posting) If they don't have a solution, I should restore the computer back to its factory condition. :thumbsup: Are they out of there minds??? This computer has over two years of work on it. I did that about 6 months ago, and is it ever a pain to get everything right again. And it takes forever to reload all the programs!!!

So, does anyone out there have a solution? I am unable to use my desktop for internet or email, and that's problematic because my desktop is my "workhorse."

Thank you, Pat

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,255 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:09 AM

Posted 09 July 2007 - 10:53 PM

What type of wireless deveice does your desktop use? USB dongle, PCI card, etc. + make & model.

#3 patop

patop
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:09 AM

Posted 09 July 2007 - 11:06 PM

Well I know I've got a Dell Wireless 1450 Wireless USB Adaptor - if that's what you're asking.

But I have even better news :thumbsup: While I did reboot the router downstairs in the garage, I didn't think of rebooting the access point overhead upstairs . . . . until a few minutes ago. I did that and I'm back to normal. :trumpet: Well at least my computer is: signal strength is excellent.

I guess one needs to remember to try rebooting every possible thing that is connected. And then reboot something else!

Thanks for listening. I'm a happy camper now :flowers:

Pat

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users