Jump to content


 


Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.


Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable To Access Internet


  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 dennyls

dennyls

  • Members
  • 16 posts
  • OFFLINE
  •  
  • Local time:09:25 AM

Posted 09 July 2007 - 06:46 PM

I'm using Windows 2000, on an old IBM laptop T22, and IE6.0.2800.1106IS. After the system was unused for about 7 days--but on-line via my wireless connection, I could not access any web sites. After a re-boot, access was OK for a short time, then stopped again. Now all attempts to get to sites returns the "The Page cannot be displayed" message, with a note Cannot find server or DNS error.

BUT I CAN get e-mail, ping major web-sites, and chat on various IM clients. So I assume that the issue is with IE or some sort of virus.

The lap-top is wirelessly connected to my home network. It can see the network--and as noted above, I can send/receive e-mail and ping sites.


To add to the issue--I did do a registry clean-up with a tool called ashampooWinOptimizer 4 a couple of weeks ago--and this may have been the first reboot since then. I tried to restore the registry from my back-up, but apparently it is corrupt, since it will not reload.

So where do I start? Any advice would be most appreciated.

Thanks!

Denny

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

 


m

#2 dennyls

dennyls
  • Topic Starter

  • Members
  • 16 posts
  • OFFLINE
  •  
  • Local time:09:25 AM

Posted 09 July 2007 - 10:20 PM

Some more information on my problem:

It appears that I can access secure sites--those with https:// but not those that are regular http://.

I also notice, when I attempt to go to something like www.yahoo.com, the IE window on the lower left says Connecting to site 64.8.xx.xx instead of giving the name of the site as it used to do. Then it does not connect.

I checked for a bad Hosts file, but as far as I can tell, I don't have one.

Again, thanks in advance for any help.

Denny

#3 dennyls

dennyls
  • Topic Starter

  • Members
  • 16 posts
  • OFFLINE
  •  
  • Local time:09:25 AM

Posted 10 July 2007 - 04:44 PM

PROBLEM IS RESOLVED.

I uninstalled Zone Alaram and that resolved the issue. Zone Alarm was NOT supposedly running, but obviously something was active and causing the problem.

#4 TMacK

TMacK

  • Members
  • 4,672 posts
  • OFFLINE
  •  
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:B.C. Canada
  • Local time:07:25 AM

Posted 10 July 2007 - 09:18 PM

Thanx for posting back with your fix dennyls.

Having a good Firewall is important, because the Windows Firewall is inadequate.
If ZoneAlarm doesn't work for your OS, try one of the other free Firewalls listed in the Freeware Replacements For Common Commercial Apps.
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users