Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

D-link Dwl 630

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Stu G

Stu G

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:25 PM

Posted 09 July 2007 - 06:07 PM

Hi everyone

I thought it was about time I tacked a Linux distro for real! I chose Ubuntu. It is installed on my old laptop, a Dell Latitude CPxH, I used 7.04 Alternate Install Cd, not live install. I have been trying o get my wireless card to work, with little success and I am out of ideas. Following online guides I installed ndiswrapper from my cd and found a driver for my device on the wiki list: mrv8k51.inf and went through the step, which I will list. All Done as ROOT

sudo -i

modprobe ndiswrapper
lspci ---My device seems to be listed Marvel w8300 802.11
lscp -n ---Got my PCI ID
ndiswrapper -i /home/stu/desktop/driver/xp/mrv8k51.inf
sudo depmod -a
sudo modprobe ndiswrapper

installing mrv8k51...
couldn't find selection "W8100PCI.zerocfg" (3 times listed)

then I checked the driver:

ndiswrapper -l

mrv8k51 :driver installed device(11ab:1fa6) present

However there is not activity on the card and when I do

ifconfig

lo local loopback etc...

iwconfig

no wireless extensions.

This is my first real attempt using Linux and I am still getting used to the terminal so I would be grateful for any tips or advice as I am not 100% sure if I am doing the correct steps. Many guides say once driver is installed I should see wlan0 but I cannot seem to find it and there is no light or activity from the card at this time.

Thanks
Stu G
Ada95,Java,C ANSI,C++,C♯,ASP.NET,JavaFX!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Joedude

Joedude

• Members
  • 337 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:25 AM

Posted 10 July 2007 - 02:49 AM

DId you get your instructions from here?

http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/joomla/...tpage/Itemid,1/

That's where the developers of ndiswrapper actually keep thier project. The wiki is very informative and has a great installation and troubleshooting section. I would love to give you the answer, but to read and practice is to keep for life...hehe, that's my way of saying...dude, I don't do wireless, and as a reult, I'm not well versed on it. Howvere, I have used that before to help a couple of friends here, all I did was follow the instructions....
If someone tells you to su rm -rf /
DON'T DO IT!!!!
Be in the know, Bash smart!

#3 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:25 PM

Posted 10 July 2007 - 03:25 AM

Another thing about D Link wireless cards: there may be more than one version of the card. you need to check d links web site to make sure that you have exactly identified your wireless card.
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#4 Stu G

Stu G
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2007 - 10:33 AM

Good Tip, I checked my Card, I have REV A so there is a chance I used the wrong driver. From The wiki on ndiswrapper:

Card: D-Link DWL-G630
Chipset: Marvell W8300
pciid: 11ab:1fa6
Driver: http://www.asus.com.tw/support/download/it...delName=WL-138G
Other: Works with WEP and WPA with TKIP cipher.

I think that is the correct driver, as the pciid matches what ubuntu reported, but the link is not working :thumbsup:
Stu G

#5 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:25 PM

Posted 10 July 2007 - 11:04 AM

I just tried the link serverside runtime error.
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#6 Stu G

Stu G
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2007 - 08:29 PM

Well I got a working driver and it is installed and everything is working but ONLY when no encryption is enabled on my router. I use WPA and I chose Ubuntu 7.04 ( Feisty Fawn) as I read there was instant support for WPA encryption compared to other distros.

When I go to network and configure I only seem to have WEP key (Hexadecimal) and WEP key (ASCII). Do I need to install package for WPA support?

Any Help would be greatly appreciated

P.S. For anyone needing a driver for D-Link DWL 630 VERSION A use this link:
D-Link DWL 630 Driver Ubuntu

This is for pciid: 11ab:1fa6 and also work for the dwlg510 which is the pci bus version of the PCMCIA DWL 630. The only working driver for me was the Windows 98 Driver. Thatís on a Dell Latitude CPX-H.
Stu G

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users