Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista Grrrrrr.

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Vistahater01

Vistahater01

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:08 AM

Posted 09 July 2007 - 02:36 PM

Right to cut a long strory short i had a laptop for chistmas my brother broke it i got a replacment and the replacement is Vista. Due to numerous problems i have with vista i would like to change it back to XP. I have a XP SP2 Boot disk and i tried that in my laptop but it came up with the same screen as if i were using it on any other computer/laptop but where it said "Install Windows XP SP2 i t had the same message but it was in grey writing and i couldnt click on it. I was wondering if this is the wrong version or something. So im looking for a solution to installing XP back onto my laptop. I have an Acer Aspire 5050 (when or if you decide to help me could you do it in a way a 13 year old male would understand thanks :huh:). Thanks for any sugestions you might have.

Yours, Vistahater01

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:08 PM

Posted 09 July 2007 - 07:29 PM

Just to understand this correctly.... your new laptop came with Vista preloaded?... and you're trying to install XP over the top with an XP boot disk?

MS_MVP.gif
MS MVP Windows-Security 2006-2016
Member of UNITE, the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

Admin PC Pitstop

#3 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:08 PM

Posted 09 July 2007 - 07:39 PM

Hey Vistahater01, :huh: to the board!

Just curious - what problems are you having with Vista?

When you say you have an "XP SP2 boot disk", may we assume it is a CD?

Do you have the product Key for it?

Do the Acer folks have all the drivers, etc. you'll need to run XP on that notebook PC?

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2007 - 05:43 AM

If you're trying to run the disk from within Windows Vista - it won't work. You'd have to boot from the CD in order to make it work.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 Vistahater01

Vistahater01
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2007 - 11:51 AM

Right sorry if i didnt make it clear.

I have a windows XP SP2 Boot disk (CD) to install windows XP.
I wont to install it over Vista.
Unfortuantely i dont have a key is that a problem.
and Usama i dont totally understand you.
I waited for the boot disk to load up and i cant install it.
Where it says install windows XP i cant click on it i get thge windows error sound.

So if you need any more info just post what you need :huh:

Yours, Vistahater01

P.S thanks for the welcome :huh:

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2007 - 03:31 PM

You can install from the CD before you go into Windows (depends on the make and model of your computer as to how you do this). But the lack of a product key makes this inadvisable - without a legitimate product key yoiu won't be able to install Windows XP.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 Vistahater01

Vistahater01
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2007 - 03:05 PM

How would i found out how to do it for my Acer Aspire 5050 Laptop ?

Yours, Vistahater01

#8 markuk3

markuk3

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2007 - 05:01 PM

Remember once you have installed XP over Vista(providing you can supply a legitimate product key) You are going to run into the problem of getting drivers for your laptop and this will be harder than it seem as Acer doenst have the best support site . I know you have had problems with Vista in the past but its here and its not going away so maybe you should give it another try and im sure the people on this forum will help out if you do have problems

#9 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2007 - 06:28 AM

Yep, ACER drivers are real PITA to find! Vista works well for me, and I've been using it since the early Beta days. Until the software developers catch up with the changes in Vista you'll have to be alert for Vista-compatible software.

You can install XP type software in several ways to make it work - the most common being the Compatibility Wizard - but there's even more tricks after that (but these tricks don't usually work with drivers).

#10 Vistahater01

Vistahater01
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2007 - 03:03 PM

Really the whole reason i had my newlaptop was because of it being mobile and it having quite a good spec for playing my game. But never mind i think ill put up with Vista for now. I suppose Everyone will have Vista soon and the software companies will either face corruption or change there software to be compatible with Vista.

Yours, .-=m1k3y=-.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users