Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cmos Battery

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 boyinshirt

boyinshirt

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:12 PM

Posted 09 July 2007 - 01:30 PM

A friend of mine approached me asking about his CMOS battery, because he said he had an error message pop up saying that it was about to die.

He wants to know if it is of that great importance to replace it. I told him that really the only thing it does is supply power to the machine when it is off in order to keep date and time properties correct. Am I correct here?

Is it important to replace it? and is it any easy swap/where can I buy a replacement battery?

thankyou!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2007 - 01:36 PM

batteries are standard replacement parts and they do keep the bios settings in programmable memory

replace it but often with a custom build machine there will special settings to re enter
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#3 boyinshirt

boyinshirt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2007 - 02:39 PM

batteries are standard replacement parts and they do keep the bios settings in programmable memory

replace it but often with a custom build machine there will special settings to re enter

where can I buy a new battery? Radio Shack? Walmart? and I'm assuming its as easy to replace as say a battery in a watch?

#4 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:10:12 PM

Posted 09 July 2007 - 03:20 PM

Radio Shack, Circuit City, Best Buy, and yes even Wal Mart.
If in doubt about what you need, take the current battery out. Either take it with you OR write down any info on the battery. Those things are really cheap, easy to take out and install.
Been there, done that with a dead CMOS battery-only I got no warning.

#5 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:12 PM

Posted 09 July 2007 - 03:25 PM

Replace it Immediately! Not only will you lose any custom settings, but if your system time and date are incorrect you will not be able to run windows updates. Normally the cmos battery is a CR2032
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#6 boyinshirt

boyinshirt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2007 - 05:08 PM

okay so an update in my problem. my friends battery ended up dying. he moved his computer, and it had died. so he replaced the battery, and now the computer is all sorts of screwed up.

it seems that they have to reinstall windows entirely, but they don't want to lose their files. we've brought windows up in safe mode to save important documents to a disk.

but is there anything to do to save all information on the hard drive, or can we go without reinstalling windows?

#7 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2007 - 05:30 PM

You can try a repair install if you have XP or 2000 Pro, Win2000 Repair install Windows XP Repair Install.

You can also start up using the {F8} method, like going into safe mode, but select last known good configuration. If there is malware on this computer, you will still have problems with it.
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#8 boyinshirt

boyinshirt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2007 - 06:45 PM

You can try a repair install if you have XP or 2000 Pro, Win2000 Repair install Windows XP Repair Install.

You can also start up using the {F8} method, like going into safe mode, but select last known good configuration. If there is malware on this computer, you will still have problems with it.

i told them to go into the last known good configuration, but apparently that didn't work.

the computer was perfectly fine before the CMOS Battery died. they called gateway, and they said to just replace it. So they buy a new one, and replace it. when the turn the computer back on, everything seems to have gone awry.

#9 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2007 - 06:53 AM

Did they reset the time in the BIOS once the new battery was put in? If not, this can cause all sorts of problems with Windows and the programs that it runs.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#10 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2007 - 07:02 AM

Did they reset the time in the BIOS once the new battery was put in? If not, this can cause all sorts of problems with Windows and the programs that it runs.

I agree, like I WARNED BEFORE, clearing cmos without knowing about bios settings is playing russian roulette

Gateway should have warned them also

Some of the older oem's just need to be booted into bios and then save settings, even when you add ram
Chewy

#11 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2007 - 07:42 AM

FWIW - we had an issue at work the other day due to this. Some of our diagnostics expire on a regular basis - and this PC was insisting that the diagnostic had expired. We fussed with it for quite a while until we thought to check the date on the PC - sure enough, it was wrong. Correcting the date solved all of our problems!
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#12 NitsujX

NitsujX

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:12 PM

Posted 10 July 2007 - 07:26 PM

When clearing the CMOS, you can also get an inproper CPU Speed...I'd just check it as a safter precaution.

#13 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2007 - 07:45 PM

When you clear the CMOS it returns everything to the default settings
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#14 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2007 - 12:30 AM

default settings

dropping bus speed
turning off plug and play
turning off dma auto?

many possibilities
Chewy

#15 hdstock

hdstock

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2007 - 12:27 AM

My husband has a laptop HP Pavillion ze4400 that needs that battery replaced. Does anyone have any idea where it would be on the laptop?
Thx,
Heidi

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users