Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Power Supply ?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 christoopherkathryn

christoopherkathryn

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:26 PM

Posted 09 July 2007 - 10:11 AM

OK here we go.... My friend dropped off her puter so I could try to find a new power supply. My problem is that I know nothing about them. The puter is a Proteva with no additional info on front. on the back there is a code : CMP-K2-4519c . This seems to be a stock puter she bought used. I have the orignial power supply : Hipro model: HP-146ssc. DO I need the orignial power supply or are there options. Im not sure how to read the volts and amps info but I have it. Any Ideas?
-Cipher-

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:26 PM

Posted 09 July 2007 - 11:15 AM

It looks like a standard 200watt ATX power supply. Hipro PSU at Affordable Surplus. I've never had any dealings with this site so I wouldnt suggest buying from them. I would suggest Newegg.com or TigerDirect.com

Posted Image

#3 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2007 - 12:17 PM

I always bench test with a standard PS and verify that it was the power supply, usually end up scrapping those older computers for parts, a working affordable microatx PS is a hard to find item.

Edited by DaChew, 09 July 2007 - 12:18 PM.

Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#4 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:26 PM

Posted 09 July 2007 - 12:32 PM

Here in the phoenix area, the only store that carries micro ATX power supplies is Frys Electronics. About the largest that you can buy is 225 watts. If you are in an area that has a frys electronics store check there.

Test the machine with a known good Power supply first.
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:26 PM

Posted 09 July 2007 - 09:21 PM

I seem to have missed something here, how did you guys determine that this is a micro ATX PSU? Blackspider found the same site that I did and it doesn't show it as a micro ATX.

christoopherkathryn, If you have a voltmeter you can test the PSU's different rail voltages. With the PSU turned off or unplugged from the AC receptacle disconnect the 20 pin connector from the motherboard and place a jumper between the socket with the green wire and any black wire and plug the PSU back in. The color codes and corresponding rail voltages can be found here.

If you have the time and patience I also would suggest making you purchase from Newegg or Tiger Direct, from the experiences that I hear about form Frys I'm dubious of them, you can always look for you local computer shop or even Staple has a limited supply.

If you are confused by my question regarding it being a ATX vs a micro ATX measure it, a micro ATX's dimensions are (WxDxH), 3.9 in x 5.1 in x 3.3 in.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2007 - 09:31 PM

http://www.usereasy.com/product_6688.html

both pictures show a micro atx

Specs:
We use these for direct replacements in Pavilions, IBM and others in our repair shop. This power supply is a replacement for the HiPro 146ssc power supply no matter what model computer it may be in.

Dimensions for all units -
5-7/8" wide
4" deep
3 3/8" tall including fan
Absolutely, positively fit correctly !

http://justpowersupplies.com/hipro-HP-146s...ower-supply.htm

Edited by DaChew, 09 July 2007 - 09:36 PM.

Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#7 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2007 - 10:30 PM

the pic I found is a bad pic. you can see it much better in yours DaChew and you can make out that it is a micro ATX.

Always remember if you get confused take it to a reputable local computer store and they will be able to match it up for you. I prefer this over buying over the internet because I can see that the new PSU is the same as the old one and save myself time and hassle over wrong shipping or ordering. just my 2 pennies. Newegg and tiger direct are excellent retailers but every once in a while somethings will always slip through the cracks.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users