Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dvd-r Don't Work In Dvd +/-writer

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 benny269

benny269

• Members
  • 158 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:12 PM

Posted 09 July 2007 - 06:43 AM

Hi

I have an old Compaq Presario with a DVD+/-Writer as shown on the specification at the link and printed on the pc case cover over the drive. Nevertheless it doesn't work with DVD-R media and on closer inspection the drive has DVD+R printed on it only.

I bought it under the impression it was compatible with both - does this mean it was advertised wrongly? Is there any way to verify this?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jwinathome

jwinathome

• Members
  • 1,360 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:12 AM

Posted 09 July 2007 - 07:35 AM

From what I see on that spec sheet, there should be a DVD-writer. Even if it was only a DVD drive, it should still play DVD-R.

#3 benny269

benny269
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 158 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2007 - 07:51 AM

This Compaq actually has 2 drives and the DVD drive I've never know to have any issues with playback. My issue is just with the DVD Writer drive.

I have had this problem before when trying to write to DVD-R media staright out of Windows but at the moment I'm trying to burn an ISO using ISO Recorder and it just tells me the media is unusable.

Posted Image

Edited by benny269, 09 July 2007 - 07:56 AM.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,601 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:12 AM

Posted 09 July 2007 - 10:01 AM

This could be a couple of things, it could simply be the quality of the media or it could be that the drive just doesn't like DVD-R. It's usually the other way around, DVD-R was the first media to hit the market so most early machines were geared toward it, the DVD+R is the one that will usually have a problem being read. What media are you using? Is this a data DVD or are you backing up home video files?

Your link is not working for me so I couldn't find the information regarding you DVD drive, perhaps someone reading this can post whether this is working for them or not.

Edited by dc3, 09 July 2007 - 10:02 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 benny269

benny269
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 158 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2007 - 06:31 PM

I don't think the link is broken as previous poster did look at the specs but perhaps it is because it is a pdf file? Anyhow the link to the spec sheet can be found here.

As I said previously, I was actually trying to burn an ISO file. As it happens it was just the ISO Recorder program that was giving me difficulties as it was a version that didn't write to DVDs. I have now resolved this using a different program and successfully wrote to DVD-R media.

It seems the drive does work with both media but I'm still wondering why on the drive itself the printed symbol shows DVD+R only. Should I still be a little concerned? Is there any way of definitively checking exactly what this drive supports?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users