Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Thinking About Starting My Own Computer Business..opinions

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 PC GEEK

PC GEEK

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:46 PM

Posted 09 July 2007 - 12:58 AM

Hi all...I'm thinking about starting my own computer business here's my game plan so far...but I'm not where close to the end product:

Start by word-of-mouth advertising, nothing major like newspaper ads or ads that cost me any money

I'm not looking for major profits, I'm only 16 so I'm not supporting myself or anything, and I have another part time job as a DJ for a local country station, so there's some money flow there...I'm just looking to stay in the black, I know sometimes the first bit of startup will land you in the red, but thats a risk I'm willing to take.

I can build computers and also fix most bugs and such, and most major major major problems can be solved through forums and such, IF I would happen to hit a dead end, which everyone does once in a while

I love working with people so this job would be a plus for me, I'm not a money hound, so I can definately work with reasonable prices, unlike brand name/chains that fix computers (such as Geek Squad...blah!!! :-( they suck!...damn expensive)

That's all I've got so far but that's why I'm here on BC cuz I need suggestions and such...pro's/con's, ideas, suggestions, info...what ever you've got I'll take it...but please, from serious people only....preferably from those in the business

Thank you for any help received, it will be much appreciated...

Zac, Southern Minnesota

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:46 PM

Posted 09 July 2007 - 01:44 AM

Help PC GEEK. Before you open for business you need to determine what you want to do and how are you going to get it done.
I started working on computer very much the same way you are describing. I went from "Yes i work on computers from my home", to turning down 10 to 20 computer jobs a week. I don't even give out business cards.
First off you need to talk with your parents about this. While you may think it is no big deal and Mom and Dad will be cool with it. They may not like tons of not only computers you work on but the spare parts you will have to keep o hand.
Then there is the permits and insurance. I cost me $250 just to say I have a business. The insurance is about another $700. And I am not even going to talk about taxes.
Although it is a "Home based business" there are allot of thing that need to be considered before Just taking in computer to be fixed.
One dropped screw on a motherboard could cost you $100 in just parts. It will not matter that you can give them a better computer than they had to start with, they will want their computer fixed or "I'll sure your ...!". I have been lucky and only had it happen 3 times to me, but each time was a major headache.
I am looking at a 1000 sq ft office to just do word of mouth repairs, just so i can form a separate company and insult my family and home from the liabilities associated with business in general. That is going to cost me about $1100 a month, and more than likely some regret, but some things have to be done.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:46 PM

Posted 09 July 2007 - 06:25 AM

I started doing repairs in the house (and making housecalls) a while back - and found it to be too much of a PITA for me (I'm not a people kind of guy tho'). So, in addition to planning for the business, I'd also suggest a plan for getting out of it gracefully. That way the customers who have come to rely on you won't be left out in the cold if you decide to get out of the business.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2007 - 12:37 PM

As a former small business owner (not computers), I can tell you to do lots of research. Does your area and/or colleges have any mentoring programs for small business owners? We have a group of retired business owners that will look at your business plans and give you some guidance. Speaking of business plans , it's essential to have one. You'll need it when applying for any type of loan, Which you will need if you become successful and need to expand, replace or improve equipment. . Also, a good bookkeeper is a must. I don't know about your state but Ohio is a PITA and you'll need to focus on your business at hand. You might have a rush at the start, but it will usually taper off. You have to commit to the long haul not short term. I could ramble on, but those are off the top of my head
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#5 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Members
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the &quot;Logic Free Zone&quot;, in Md, USA

Posted 09 July 2007 - 01:01 PM

The U.S. Small Business Administration provides many completely free on-line courses, some free books and brochures, and much more. I'd suggest you start exploring information there. (I did the same thing long ago on starting up my "small" business.)
The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

#6 PC GEEK

PC GEEK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2007 - 03:36 PM

wow...you guys...like I'm not even close to thinking of doing this on a scale that you are thinking I'm going to be doing this on...I just mean fixing and building computers for close friends and family....people I trust...if it expands from there, then I will go ahead and see whats next, but theres no way this will be anywhere near full time, and theres no way im renting a place, i dont have that kind of money. I'm starting small anyways, so, i dont think it will too big of a deal to just have it in my extra room in my house...i live in a town of about 3500 people, and im sure that like less 1 percent of them even need a computer since half are over the damn age of 65.......thanks though, but im just not looking at that big of scale right now

#7 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Members
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the &quot;Logic Free Zone&quot;, in Md, USA

Posted 09 July 2007 - 03:48 PM

Many of us start small at many simple businesses. But, no matter how small, one must protect oneself from others.
You may be very good at your craft, treat all others well, and one dissatisfied individual disrupts your best efforts/intentions.

Learn to protect yourself.

BTW - "damn age of 65" is an insult to some computer users that just might be your new, best, paying customers.
(That's a semi-joke of course.)
The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

#8 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,136 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2007 - 04:36 PM

My grandma has me on speed dial :thumbsup: ( she really does! )
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#9 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2007 - 07:25 PM

My grandma has me on speed dial :thumbsup: ( she really does! )

at least yours knows what speed dial is
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users