Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How To Share A Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 MooseNP10

MooseNP10

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:53 AM

Posted 08 July 2007 - 11:05 PM

I have come across a problem that i don't know what to do. I've got an external hard drive connected to my laptop and i'm hook into a LAN for internet and to share with the other computers in the house, but i'm trying to share my external hard drive over the internet so i can be anywhere and access it as long as have a password or something and my computer is turned on. Can anyone help me out?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:53 PM

Posted 08 July 2007 - 11:48 PM

Hi MooseNP10

:thumbsup: to BleepingComputer.

This look as though it will do what you want.
https://secure.logmein.com/go.asp?page=home&lang=en

I have been going to try it but haven't got around to it yet.

Let us all know how you go.

Cheers

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

#3 MooseNP10

MooseNP10
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2007 - 11:51 PM

Thanks i'll try it i'm installing it right now

#4 MooseNP10

MooseNP10
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2007 - 09:49 PM

hey i just figured that i would leave another post to tell you that this program works awesome because you can be anywhere and use it and i installed it on all 3 of my computers

Thanks a lot,
-Moose

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:53 AM

Posted 10 July 2007 - 08:02 AM

I've used LogMeIn and it's great! There are other freeware apps that'll do this, but the links are eluding me right now.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 MooseNP10

MooseNP10
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2007 - 08:34 PM

Yeah it's great for remote access but i'm trying to find one that i can do more then just access but i want to keep the being able to connect anywhere as long as i have an internet connection if anybody knows anything please let me know

Thanks!
-Moose

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:53 AM

Posted 16 July 2007 - 07:00 AM

To do this, you'll need to have the IP address of your home. With most ISP's this is a dynamic value - but I overcome it by using the free Gateway IP Monitor ( http://www.netikus.net/products_gatewayipmonitor.html )

If you've got a router at home, then you'll have to configure it to forward the necessary ports to the computer with the hard drive on it. AFAIK, this step isn't necessary with LogMeIn.

If this doesn't meet your needs, then try searching Google for Remote Connectivity and Remote Access software - there's lot's of it out there!
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users