Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cd Drive

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 sharpie

sharpie

• Members
  • 702 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:47 AM

Posted 08 July 2007 - 11:01 PM

hello everyone-
when i play a new cd with no scratches it sounds like it has small scratches. i can hear a clicking in the background. i thought it was my speakers, but when i listen to music that is already on my computer and not on a cd it sounds fine thats why i am thinking that there is something wrong with my disk drive. does it need to be cleaned? if it does then how would i do this?

-thank you-

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:47 PM

Posted 08 July 2007 - 11:53 PM

Cleaning disks with little brushes are readily available to clean any dust off the lens.

You should find them at any electronics store, or in that department in a Mart.

Cheers

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

#3 mommabear

mommabear

• Members
  • 492 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2007 - 07:46 AM

It won't hurt anything to try the cleaning disks, but if the clicking sounds more mechanical... like it's coming from the drive rather that the music... your cd rom may be failing. Fortunately they're not expensive to replace anymore. If you can, I'd recommend upgrading to a combo dvd-cd reader and writer, if it ends up you have to replace the drive.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:47 AM

Posted 09 July 2007 - 10:13 AM

I agree with mammabear, one of the advantages of CD and DVD recordings is that there will never be any scratches or magnetic degradation that you would see on a LP or cassette. If the CD is not a pressed copy then the media used to copy the music can also degrade over time, but it would simply either stop working or start breaking up or hiccupping.

Try this, take a long handled plastic or wooden kitchen spoon and place the spoon end against your ear and the other end against the case of the drive and see if you can hear the noise though the spoon. If you can then you know that it is the drive.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 mommabear

mommabear

• Members
  • 492 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2007 - 01:59 PM

Try this, take a long handled plastic or wooden kitchen spoon and place the spoon end against your ear and the other end against the case of the drive and see if you can hear the noise though the spoon. If you can then you know that it is the drive.

Well, I'll be darned! I've never heard of that before. Great tip!!

#6 sharpie

sharpie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 702 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2007 - 04:33 PM

i guess it is not just a cd drive. i only have one disk drive on my computer and i am able to play and burn cd's and dvd's. i put in a music cd and i dont really know how to describe it, but it sounded like a lighy flicking coming from my disk drive. how could the drive be failing? i put in a dvd and the movie would "flick" every few seconds. i can only tell that there is something wrong with it when i listen to music or or watch a movie. if i insert a non music or movie disk i have no problems..
thank you guys for all the help- :thumbsup:

Edited by sharpie, 09 July 2007 - 04:45 PM.

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2007 - 08:32 PM

Is the noise coming from the drive?

Edited by dc3, 09 July 2007 - 08:33 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#8 sharpie

sharpie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 702 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2007 - 10:42 PM

Is the noise coming from the drive?

i think so. i only hear it when a disk is being played and it isnt coming from my speakers.

#9 sharpie

sharpie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 702 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2007 - 11:10 PM

anyone?

#10 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2007 - 07:43 AM

Well they do go bad. I have an old one that sounds like a freight train, but it still works
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#11 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,130 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2007 - 06:38 PM

Ahh an old mechanics trick :thumbsup:
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#12 sharpie

sharpie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 702 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2007 - 12:09 AM

so should i purchase a disk from the store that cleans the lense or should i take a can of air to it?

-thank you

#13 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2007 - 08:12 AM

I personally wouldn't use air. There are some things in there you could knock loose. This comes from experience because I did it
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#14 sharpie

sharpie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 702 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2007 - 02:21 AM

It won't hurt anything to try the cleaning disks, but if the clicking sounds more mechanical... like it's coming from the drive rather that the music... your cd rom may be failing. Fortunately they're not expensive to replace anymore. If you can, I'd recommend upgrading to a combo dvd-cd reader and writer, if it ends up you have to replace the drive.

what would be a good price for one of those?
-thanks

#15 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2007 - 02:44 AM

what would be a good price for one of those?
-thanks

Newegg has a couple that I would have myself, the Lite-On has the fastest reading speed on the market at the moment and enjoys a great reputation for their firmware. The Samsung isn't flashy but Samsung keeps building these dependable drives while others go up and down in their quality. I have a NEC 3550A that I love, but I would not buy one of their new drives that they have conspired to build with Sony. If you want to go for the best, IMHO, go for a plextor, but be prepared to spend seventy dollars and upward for one.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users