Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

2 Drives Showing Up In Windows Explorer And Only One There

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 pbman41

pbman41

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:56 PM

Posted 08 July 2007 - 10:57 PM

I am running windows XP and for some reason when I look at windows explorer it shows I have a C and D drive, both with the same name and same files. I am afraid to erase the D drive because I don't want to accidentally erase the C drive. I have looked on microsofts site and found nothing. I am running an HP pavilion.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:56 PM

Posted 09 July 2007 - 12:02 AM

Hi pbman41

:thumbsup: to BleepingComputer.

On my Pavilion, the D: drive is the Recovery partition on the main C: drive. This is the area which will restore your computer back to factory condition if everything goes wrong. GUARD IT WITH YOUR LIFE, and do not add or delete anything from it.

If that is not what it is on your PC, it may be a backup created by some program on your machine.

Cheers

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,074 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2007 - 05:52 AM

What other drives are listed in Windows Explorer? It's unusual that there's 2 identical drives (the D: drive on HP's is usually fairly small and doesn't closely resemble the C: drive). That being said....DON"T DELETE IT!!! You are correct that, if this is a malfunction, you'll probably end up deleting portions of your C: drive - and if it is your Recovery/Restore drive, you may need it as rowal5555 stated.

PS - what happens when you Refresh the window?

Edited by usasma, 09 July 2007 - 05:52 AM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 pbman41

pbman41
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2007 - 11:53 AM

The A drive, C drive, and E drive. It isn't the recovery drive.

#5 usasma

usasma

• 25,074 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2007 - 06:08 AM

If the D: drive is showing as being identical to the C: drive - then there's a problem with your system. It could be malware or it could be a corruption of the system.

Try launching the HP system restore (don't complete it, just launch it) to see if the commands will work on the D: drive. If they do, then I'd suspect some sort of malware.

Try a couple of free, online scans to see if they detect anything:
http://safety.live.com
http://housecall.trendmicro.com
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 M...

M...

• Members
  • 386 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:56 PM

Posted 10 July 2007 - 09:24 AM

There is one other possibility, although in this case it might be very remote. It could be that D: is a virtual drive mapped to the C: drive.

In the following screen snapshot, I used the Command Prompt's SUBST command to create a virtual drive F: which is mapped to the root of the C: drive. Then I refreshed the "My Computer" display and it shows both F: and C:, which are really now just different names for the same drive. Any reference to (or use of) anything on F: is the same as a reference to (or use of) the corresponding "thing" on C: -- just different names for the same thing:

http://img513.imageshack.us/img513/2135/subst1gp0.png

(After clicking on the link above, click on the image to view the screen snapshot at its original size.)

To see if this is what is occurring on your system, open a Command Prompt (Start --> All Programs --> Accessories --> Command Prompt) and type SUBST at the prompt. It will display a list of substituted (virtual) drives, if there are any. In my test case above, it shows "F:\: => C:\" (F:\ mapped to C:\).

There are legitimate uses for this technique (SUBST) and I have used it before in batch/command files (.BAT or .CMD).

#7 pbman41

pbman41
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2007 - 10:32 PM

Thanks for both suggestions. On the last one if this is the case, how do I remove them without messing up my C drive?

#8 M...

M...

• Members
  • 386 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:56 PM

Posted 11 July 2007 - 11:30 AM

pbman41,

If what is occurring is the result of a SUBST command being executed in some batch/command/script file (.BAT or .CMD), there are several places where this could be happening automatically at startup/login in Windows XP. If this behavior isn't the result of malware, it might be best to locate where it is happening, and then try to determine if it is necessary or not. A few of the possibilities are:

Start, Control Panel, Scheduled Tasks:
Among the other scheduling choices, a scheduled task can be set to run "At System Startup" or "At Logon". If you have any such task (right-click the task, select Properties, then the Schedule tab), check the file that is being run (using the Task tab):

http://img238.imageshack.us/img238/3608/subsdauv4.png

Start, Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Computer Management:
In the left pane, navigate down to Computer Management (Local), System Tools, Local Users and Groups, Users. The right pane should show all users. Right-click the account you normally use, select Properties, then click the Profile tab. In the User profile area, see if there is a logon script file specified for that user in the Logon script: field:

http://img238.imageshack.us/img238/2752/subsdbrm1.png

If you find a .BAT or .CMD file in any of these places, you can open that file with Notepad to see what commands are being executed.

In your original post, you didn't mention whether you just noticed this behavior (and it may actually have been occurring for quite some time), or whether it really did just start happening. If it did just start happening, is there any software that you recently installed?

If you reboot your computer and open "My Computer" immediately (without doing anything else before), do both the C: and D: drives appear in the display? If the D: drive isn't listed, it might be that there is some other program you run after booting the computer that is causing this behavior.

#9 pbman41

pbman41
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2007 - 08:08 PM

It starts right as soon as windows boots, but I have a new problem now. the system froze up yesterday and when I went to reboot, it kept hanging up on the win XP opening window. So I put the XP disc in and started the recovery console. I ran the chkdsk /p as is suggest, starting at around 1 this morning, by 1 this afternoon it was at 25%. This is only a 30 gig HD. It is plugging away and I haven't gotten any errors, so I am figuring it is still doing the chkdsk just that it is trying to straighten the HD out. I bought a new 160 gig HD to put in another system. Once I get all my files transfered over, I will take the 40 Gig I have in that system and put in this one, if I can't get this one fixed. Hopefully if nothing else I will be able to set the drive up as a slave and retrieve my files, then do a complete format on it. By the way, you know of a good program for copying one HD to another? Again thanks for your help.

#10 usasma

usasma

• 25,074 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2007 - 07:09 AM

There's lot's of good, free cloning programs out there. The one's that I recommend are available for free at the hard drive manufacturer's website.

BUT, don't try cloning the old hard drive to the new one in hopes of running XP - it'll be a real PITA, and it may just transfer the problems that you're currently having over onto the new hard drive. A new hard drive deserves a fresh copy of the OS - as much of a PITA as this may be! :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users