Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How To Enlarge Character At Windows Start

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 booker t

booker t

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:33 PM

Posted 08 July 2007 - 02:29 PM

I am to computers period and this may sound like a silly question, however I would likg to enlarge the character that was installed for me by Staples and it is very small.
I don't even know how to access the generic choices that I had to choose from.
That is my first question and the second question is how can I use one of my own pictures that I have in My pictures as my Wallpaper??? I think that is the right term so that it will be the background for my Desktop.

Sorry for the mundatne questions, I am reading reference books and will take a beginner's course in the Fall and enjoy the sunny summer. In the meantime I google a lot, but did not know what the computer terminology is for this character that is on the startup, just to the left of where I type in my Password.

I would be grateful for any advice and aplogize that I am "Greener" than the Green Green grass of home.

Thankyou for your time!!!

BTW, my os is XPsp2.

Edited by booker t, 08 July 2007 - 02:49 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:33 PM

Posted 08 July 2007 - 02:53 PM

Hi.

I'm not sure I understand what "character" you mean.

Is it the same as the little image at the top of your "start" menu just to the right of your name?

(Click "start" at the lower left corner of you screen.)

To change your background, "right click" on a blank area anywhere on your desktop, then

click on "properties",

in the window that appears, click on the "Desktop" tab,

then click on the button labelled "browse".

You'll now have a new window where you should be able to select your "My Pictures" folder, and then select an image in it.

Click once on the image, and then click the "open" button.

You should now be able to click "apply" or "OK" in that "Display Properties" window and the image should now be on your desktop as your background.

Notice that in that "Display Properties" window you have a small, "pull down" menu that allows you to select "stretch" (which will make the image fill your screen, but may distort it a little), "tile" (which keeps the image it's original size, but puts as many as it can on the screen), or "center" (which puts the image in the center of the screen, whether it fills the entire screen or not).

Hope that helps, at least with the background anyway.

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

#3 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2007 - 03:22 PM

Click the little picture next to your user name, and Windows will allow you to pick a new one.
A few choices are offered or browse through the photos you've saved in your My Pictures folder just like you did for the desktop background.
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#4 booker t

booker t
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2007 - 03:50 PM

Thankyou for the replies!!
I am doing something wrong for the Desktop, as I followed the instructions and am getting "multiple" pix 13 horizontally and 8 vertically of the same pic; all about one inch square???

Not quite sure what I did there but these Green fingers did something????? :thumbsup:

My kids got quite a charge out of it!!!!

I hope someone has some ideas.
Also, yes that character is near the name on my computer in a small square box, a smaller box than the one that my Better half has and you can barely make out the caricature, thus I was asking if it can be enlarged.

I will always report back on my success or demise in doing changes as I know that is the purpose of these helpful forums, in case there is someone else out there who is at the stage I am at with this new computer.
Best Regards and thankyous.

#5 JohnWho

JohnWho

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2007 - 04:13 PM

You are doing well.

Follow those instructions again, to change that background image, but read this first:

Notice that in that "Display Properties" window you have a small, "pull down" menu that allows you to select "stretch" (which will make the image fill your screen, but may distort it a little), "tile" (which keeps the image it's original size, but puts as many as it can on the screen), or "center" (which puts the image in the center of the screen, whether it fills the entire screen or not).

You are getting the "tile" selection now. The original image is somewhat small, though, and that's why you are getting so many copies of it on the screen. Most likely, if you now select "stretch", it is going to lack detail and look distorted. But, at least you are doing it right. You might try another image, so you can see the difference.

Regarding the little image next to your name - as far as I know, the size you see, is pretty much the size it is designed to be. It's just a "thumbnail" picture that just adds to the visuals of Windows.

Maybe someone else will know how to make it appear larger, or confirm that it can not be made larger.

#6 booker t

booker t
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2007 - 04:31 PM

Hi, thx for the quick replies. Well fumble fingers here managed to get the desktop set up, thx to the explanation of "tiles and stretch". The pic I was trying to use was square and so I selected a 4 x 6 and it turned out Great!!!! No stretching required!
I did try the stretching that was mentioned, just so I would know the effect and it did badly distort the square pic and so that is why I went to the " 4x 6".

Thankyou for the input on that problem.

I am still stuck with my one inch square that I am trying to change near my name and where I enter my Password.
I have tried clicking on the Pic, which is a Generic one that the Techie installed and that I will replace with the square one that I tried to put on my desk top but failed b/c it was many tiles due to its size.
I think theoretically it should work out fine for this purpose though.

But I can't find out how to get into that pic to even "Browse" to change it, I am obviously doing something wrong!!???>>>>>>> :thumbsup: me!!!

Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Also I guess I could ask about changing the pic for the screensaver as well??? Is that possible via browse and just have one pic instead of the Windows xp Logo???

Thankyou for your time and I look forward to suggestions!!

#7 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2007 - 04:41 PM

I should have elaborated a bit booker t.

Go to the Control Panel and Click on User Accounts.
In User Accounts choose the account you want to change, then choose change my picture.......and I think you can go from there!
:thumbsup:

For the Screensaver, go to the Control Panel, click on Display then click Screensaver

Edited by TMacK, 08 July 2007 - 04:47 PM.

Chaos reigns within.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#8 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2007 - 04:53 PM

For the Windows XP pic. I THINK it's a registry hack but I'm not sure
Mark
2 examples:
Microsoft
from The Screensavers

Edited by garmanma, 08 July 2007 - 05:01 PM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#9 booker t

booker t
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2007 - 05:08 PM

:thumbsup: Thankyou one and all for your patience, the desktop is now to my liking, the pic near my name at the beginning is not bad, though it is small. I have noticed on this new Acer; the better half has a Toshiba that the Toshiba has a larger square for a Pic than this Acer; that is if I am stuck with the size, You can barely discern what the Pic is on this Acer where the better half's is at least 1 and a half inches square compared to my Acer that is about three quarters to one inch square.
I guess there is no way of changing this???
It comes in that size for the generic pic's that are offerred like the butterfly, soccer ball etc.

On the other hand the better half's shows up much better and you can tell clearly what it is!!???

So changing the Windows Logo for the Screen Saver is not an easy task I take it. Not for this novice to tackle???

I have another new query that I will now post as well, I am sure that it is a simple answer; as this thread now comes to a close thx to all the experienced advice.
Cheers with gratitude! :flowers:

#10 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2007 - 05:46 PM

So changing the Windows Logo for the Screen Saver is not an easy task I take it. Not for this novice to tackle???

Changing your screensaver is pretty simple actually. You can do it booker t!
Go to the Control Panel, click on Display then click Screensaver.
Click on the arrow that will display a drop-down menu of choices, select the screensaver you want then click Apply, then Okay.
Chaos reigns within.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#11 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2007 - 07:47 PM

don't know what I was reading. I thought I seen something about changing the Windows login screen
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#12 JohnWho

JohnWho

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2007 - 07:53 PM

:thumbsup: Thankyou one and all for your patience, the desktop is now to my liking, the pic near my name at the beginning is not bad, though it is small. I have noticed on this new Acer; the better half has a Toshiba that the Toshiba has a larger square for a Pic than this Acer; that is if I am stuck with the size, You can barely discern what the Pic is on this Acer where the better half's is at least 1 and a half inches square compared to my Acer that is about three quarters to one inch square.
I guess there is no way of changing this???
It comes in that size for the generic pic's that are offerred like the butterfly, soccer ball etc.

On the other hand the better half's shows up much better and you can tell clearly what it is!!???

They will appear different sizes if you have different size monitors obviously, but also if you have the display properties set for different resolutions.

Do the same thing you did before to get to the "Display Properties" screen,

but this time choose the "settings" tab.

(Do this on both PCs)

Do you notice a different setting in the "screen resolution" section, in the lower left side?

Move the slider to set your monitor to the same setting as the other PC, and select "OK", and now they should both show the same relative sizes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users