Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Usb Port Problem

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Locky2007

Locky2007

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:37 AM

Posted 08 July 2007 - 12:03 PM

hello, i am new to the computer world and was wanting to know about usb ports as the one on my computer isn't working anymore as it is broken, so i wondered if i bought a new usb pci card with 4 external ports, can i set that up and use that instead or does that have to plug into the old 2 that are no longer functional? or can i set them up at the back of the computer in a new area and install them like that and leave the old 2?

thank you

from Locky2007

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,406 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:37 PM

Posted 08 July 2007 - 01:01 PM

Hi Locky2007, and welcome to bleepingcompter.

Yes you can purchase and install a PCI USB card, it will work independently from the ones on the rear of the case.

How did you determine that the existing ones are not working?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Locky2007

Locky2007
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2007 - 01:13 PM

it was because i had to extension cables out of them which i use for my mp3 players and my other half walked past and with some force removed them side ways which has bent and wrecked them basically so i was going to get the repaired when i saw how much they cost to buy compared to getting repaired i thought i may aswell buy some new ones.

thank you very much for your help and the Newlink 5 Port USB 2.0 PCI Card with 4 External Ports and 1 Internal Port is the one i was looking at, is that the kind of thing i should be looking at or do i need something else, or does it come with everything i need?

#4 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:37 PM

Posted 08 July 2007 - 01:16 PM

When you boot your system, you should be able to go into the CMOS BIOS setup and disable those damaged USB ports.

Not a big deal, but it may give you a little more system resources, and they won't show up as active now that they aren't useable.

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

#5 Locky2007

Locky2007
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2007 - 01:20 PM

thank you very much and thats a good idea, i shall do that now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users