Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Updating Graphics Driver?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 thewall

thewall

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,425 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:44 AM

Posted 08 July 2007 - 11:22 AM

I am currently reading the tutorial on updating drivers and I did the checking to find out what my version was. I have an Intel® 82865G graphics controller with version 6.14.10.4396

When I went to the Intel site to check if mine was the newest version I found a graphic version chart and in it it shows the 82865 card. Reading down the list of these particular cards it shows versions up to 14.17. Do I understand correctly that I should update to one of the higher versions? I want to make sure I am doing the right thing.

Intel graphics

Thanks!
If I have helped you then please consider donating so I can continue the fight against malware Posted Image
All donations go directly to the helper

Posted Image

Due to the large amount of backlogs we have I cannot respond to PMs for help unless I am already working with you

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 I_am_CanadianEh?

I_am_CanadianEh?

• Members
  • 489 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2007 - 09:00 PM

Hi There thewall and welcome to BC! :thumbsup:

Your graphics driver is probably the most important driver on your system to keep updated since the updates tend to correct many problems encountered as new incompatibilites are discovered. I have an ATI PCI-e X1600 Pro which I bought in February. They have already had 4 updates! :trumpet: Most of the updates fix issues that were discovered when someone was playing a high-end graphic game and the system crashed. Many of these updates correct these problems.

So it's important that you update to the latest.

Here's your driver for your system.

For Windows XP - http://downloadcenter.intel.com/filter_res...mp;submit=Go%21

If you have any problems with it, you can always roll back.

Hope this helps. :flowers:

#3 thewall

thewall
  • Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,425 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2007 - 09:15 PM

I really appreciate the help and thanks for the welcome. This site and the people on it are great. :thumbsup:
If I have helped you then please consider donating so I can continue the fight against malware Posted Image

Posted Image

Due to the large amount of backlogs we have I cannot respond to PMs for help unless I am already working with you

#4 thewall

thewall
  • Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,425 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2007 - 09:58 AM

When I downloaded the program and tried to install it I was told "this dowload can not be installed on this computer". Should I try something else or go to a less recent version?

Posted Image

#5 I_am_CanadianEh?

I_am_CanadianEh?

• Members
  • 489 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2007 - 09:08 PM

Hmmm....have you tried going to your computer's website to find the latest driver? Sometimes, computer manufacturers "modify" the driver specifically for your system.

Try this also:

Go to My Computer, right click it and select Properties. Then click on the Hardware tab and select device manager. Click the plus sign under Display Adaptors to see if you have any 3rd party video card installed. If you do, then you should NOT use the Intel Graphics controller but rather the driver for the actual card you have in your system.

If you're not sure, I would call your ACER technical support and obtain help there. :thumbsup:

Let me know.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users