Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Fan Problem?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Stu G

Stu G

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:43 AM

Posted 08 July 2007 - 10:52 AM

Hi all

Just built a new Core 2 Duo system with a Freezer Pro 7 heatsink, its working very well, except this one annoyance. When I switch the unit on after 8-10 hours down-time I get a persistent buzz(I think it is a warning), so I switch it off and turn it on and the buzz is intermittent, again I power down and turn on and its gone, no buzz. After further investigation, it is linked to the fan, the buzz is on if the heatsink fan is not spinning, then when intermittent buzz, the fan rotates then halts then rotates and so on. The buzz stops when the fan is fully running at 800rpm on average. Why does the unit take 3 or 4 power-up attempts to operate the fan fully? Could this be a PSU issue?

I am running a 350W on a Core 2 Duo 6400 with 2 SATA HDD and a DVDRW.
Stu G
Ada95,Java,C ANSI,C++,C♯,ASP.NET,JavaFX!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:43 AM

Posted 08 July 2007 - 12:55 PM

If this has a three wire connection to the motherboard then it is temperature controlled and the CPU may not be generating enough heat when it's first fired up to engage the fan. Can you tell whether the sound is coming from the motherboard or the fan?

Look in you user's guide and see what you beep codes are and see if they correspond to the pattern/s that you are hearing, and please let us know what you find.

Edited by dc3, 08 July 2007 - 12:57 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Stu G

Stu G
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2007 - 01:14 PM

Thanks for the reply. The sound seems to come from the front of the case, I can't say its the motherboard for sure but the sound is not from the fan. This build I am not getting beeps as I usually do, as I dont think the case has a speaker and after referring to the manual I cant find the beep code guide. As I mentioned it seems to be a buzz from the bottom front of the case (where front USB/audio connections are). If the CPU is not warm enough to engage the fan can that be modified via the BIOS? or as the CPU heats up will the fan kick in?

My MB is : GIGABYTE GA-965GM-S2 Micro Atx
Stu G

#4 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:43 AM

Posted 08 July 2007 - 03:04 PM

Unless you have a premium true rated 350 watt PS, it's probably not putting out enough voltage at boot to jump start all devices, the HSF is probably slightly defective or dirty also.

I don't even use anything less than a 450 watt brand name PS anymore with newer computers
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:43 AM

Posted 08 July 2007 - 08:34 PM

Another possibility is that the fan either has a bad connection or is faulty and the buzzing noise is it trying to start up. If you have a long plastic or wooden kitchen spoon try placing the handle against the fan and the spoon part against you ear and turn it on and see it that is where the noise is coming from.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 Stu G

Stu G
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2007 - 05:43 PM

As dc3 mentioned I think it is tied into the initial heat of the CPU triggering the fan. On initial boot the CPU is at 22C and I allowed it to buzz on and watch the CPU and board temperature and after around 20 /30 mins the temp. increased to around 29C, when it levelled out at 30-31C idle the buzz stopped, if it were to drop to 28C with the case fan the buzz is intermittent, but I do not think it is a problem to be really concerned with as the cpu will be well over 28C during use. Thanks for all the advice
Stu G

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users