Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Running Security Scans

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 rlprlp

rlprlp

• Members
  • 198 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:24 PM

Posted 08 July 2007 - 09:40 AM

I use AVG free, and am on my second day of the 15-day trial of SUPERAntiSpyware. I have been previously using SpySweeper, but I suppose that that doesn't matter in regards to this question.

I run scans on Saturday mornings, just after midnight, when we are in bed, and not using the PC. First I run the AS scan, and then the AV scan. I note the scan times, and then set the schedules to allow approximately 10 minutes in between.

For no real reason, a curiosity popped into my head: Is there any difference, or advantage, in the order in which the two security programs are run? In other words, would there be any reason that I may want to run the AVG scan before the spyware scan, instead of after?

Thank you to all who take the time to reply.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:24 PM

Posted 08 July 2007 - 09:56 AM

I have never though of scanning order before. I just make sure that my scans are scheduled far enough apart so they wont overlap and possible conflict with each other. I schedule the AV at 0100 and the AS at 0300
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:24 AM

Posted 08 July 2007 - 10:38 AM

Since an Anti-virus and an Anti-spyware look for entirely different categories of malware, the order in which they run should not be of concern. I would think, though, that the application which generally takes the longest time to run should be scheduled last.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 rlprlp

rlprlp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 198 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:24 PM

Posted 08 July 2007 - 12:35 PM

Thank you for the replies. I did not think that it mattered; I don't even know why that question popped into my mind. But I thought that maybe there was something I didn't know... nope; it doesn't seem so.

#5 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:24 AM

Posted 08 July 2007 - 12:45 PM

It never hurts to ask questions, because the one you FAIL to ask is the one that turns around and bites you you-know-where.
Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users