Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Taskbar And Icons Not Appearing...

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Vivec

Vivec

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:33 PM

Posted 07 July 2007 - 10:44 PM

Hello. I'm Ryan.

Anyway, today I rebooted my computer and when I logged on, I saw that my taskbar and desktop icons were not appearing and only my background was there. I couldn't right click on the desktop either. I CAN however use Task Manager but when I attempt to start up Explorer.exe through: Task Manager > Run > Explorer.exe, it flashes the taskbar and icons and then dissapears again, sometimes giving me a error about "Windows cannot find Explorer.exe %WINDIR%\cmd.exe" or something. Its not giving me this error right now when I try it however so I cannot be sure exactly.

I've been told to go into Regedit and find "shell" and change the "value" to "Explorer.exe" if it was anything else and it was "Explorer.exe %WINDIR%\cmd.exe". I changed it with no real difference I noticed.

I've looked around different forums for people with the same problem, and seen alot of questions about it, but never seen a good solid answer with someone saying that its fixed.

The problem is occuring on all my accounts (Four of them) EXCEPT my "Guest" account, which still has its taskbar and icons remaining. That seems important. :thumbsup: Also, I have regcure but ever since this afternoon, it closes after I open it. I've heard about alot different scan programs but I don't know which is best. Also, I did download and scan with HighJackthis and have the log if its needed but its not allowed in this forum, right?

Thanks for any help in advance and I apologize if I put this in the wrong forum. I hope thats everything.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:33 PM

Posted 07 July 2007 - 10:57 PM

What version of windows do you have?
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#3 Vivec

Vivec
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2007 - 11:07 PM

What version of windows do you have?

Dangit, I knew I left something extremely important. :thumbsup:

XP Home Edition.

#4 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2007 - 11:25 PM

Lets try this first: go to the processes tab in your task manager, and find the running copy of explorer. right click on explorer.exe and click end process. Change to the application tab and click the new task button. Then either type in C:\WINDOWS\explorer.exe or click browse and go to the windows folder , find explorer, select it and then click the OK button. Let us know if you get the desktop and icons.

#5 Vivec

Vivec
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2007 - 11:29 PM

Lets try this first: go to the processes tab in your task manager, and find the running copy of explorer. right click on explorer.exe and click end process. Change to the application tab and click the new task button. Then either type in C:\WINDOWS\explorer.exe or click browse and go to the windows folder , find explorer, select it and then click the OK button. Let us know if you get the desktop and icons.

There isn't a running copy of explorer in the processes list.

#6 annabackwards

annabackwards

• Members
  • 1,381 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:33 PM

Posted 07 July 2007 - 11:41 PM

I see what you mean by not getting a solid answer from other forums. I typed in 'Windows cannot find Explorer.exe %WINDIR%\cmd.exe not affecting guest account' and got very vague responses......
From your description of the problem, i think you may have a virus of some sort on your computer.

I recently had a similar problem, but it only happened when i tried to close a explorer.exe buffer overrun message. However, my taskbar and destop icons would disappear and reappear as if it was rebooting very quickly. That problem was caused by malware running amok on my computer. I suggest you use programs such as Spybot SD or SuperAntiSpyware to help diagnose any infections on your computer.

Spybot can be downloaded at:Spybot SD
SUPERAntiSpyware can be found at: SUPERAntiSpyware

If that doesn't work, I would recommend posting a HijackThis log in the HijackThis forum, as this would help produce a computer specific solution.

Don't worry, someone around here will know the solution to your problem! Good luck :thumbsup:
Posted Image

Surf smarter, surf faster, surf safer, surf with Mozilla Firefox

#7 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2007 - 12:23 AM

Can you browse to explorer or type the full path and exe into the taskmanager create new task popup?

Also try using the {F8} method to start the computer in safe mode and see if you get explorer to run. Please let us know the results.

Edited by oldf@rt, 08 July 2007 - 12:26 AM.

#8 Vivec

Vivec
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2007 - 12:46 AM

Can you browse to explorer or type the full path and exe into the taskmanager create new task popup?

Also try using the {F8} method to start the computer in safe mode and see if you get explorer to run. Please let us know the results.

I don't know where to find explorer in my C/:...or whatever it is but I'll go look... but safe mode is no good either.

Also, when I attempt to use alot of spyware/malware/virus scans, my computer crashes into a blue screen.

#9 Roadblock

Roadblock

• Members
  • 148 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2007 - 01:12 AM

No Vivec he means create an explorer through task manager :thumbsup:... press ctrl + alt + del .. Go to File.. New Task.. than type in explorer.exe.. and click ok :flowers:... Hope it helps best of luck
~Roadblock!~

#10 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2007 - 01:17 AM

Can you use hijack this to post a startuplist log this is located under misc tools. Thanks again. Thanks Roadblock Try typing in C:\windows\explorer.exe.

Edited by oldf@rt, 08 July 2007 - 01:21 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users