Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Adsl Modem/router & Wireless Router Setup Problem

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 markb1970

markb1970

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:36 AM

Posted 07 July 2007 - 10:04 PM

Hello all.
My Mother Inlaw has a Netcomm NB5 ADSL Modem Router, a separate ELEMENTS wireless router ( bought form Aldi Supermarket), PC1 using a standard ethernet lan card, PC2 usind a DLINK wireless card. All PC's have XP.

To access setup for the 2 devices I go to
ADSL Modem 192.168.1.1
Wirless router 192.168.1.134

I have the ADSL modem and PC1 plugged into the LAN ports on the Wirelss router. (please note I have them bothe plugged into the LAN ports and not The WAN port to make things easier)
I have disabled the DHCP in the wireless router and left the DHCP enabled in the ADSl modem.
The ADSL modem has 2 LAN clients listed
1) PC1 with IP Adress 192.168.1.101
2) PC2 with IP Adress 192.168.1.100
So the ADSL modem can see both PC's and PC1 can actively connect to the internet.
PC2 say it is connected to the wireless router. If I look at "network Connections" in PC2 the Wireless connection has an IP adress of something like 155. 254.2.170 Private Network Adress. ( To be honest I cant remember its exact IP adress except to say it is defintely a different SUBNET to the IP adress's listed as LAN clients in the ADSL modem.

I have looked in the wireless router to find a place to set Ip adress for the wirelss section to no avail.

I found it very strange that the wireless router has PC2 listed as a client but PC2 cant access the internet.

HELP. I will be incredibly helpful for any advice you can give.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:36 AM

Posted 07 July 2007 - 10:41 PM

Phone line to ADSL Modem/Router. Output to WAN port on Extra Router Plug PC 1 into the switch section of the router Plug PC2 into router switch using network cable. Reset Modem, Reset Router. R click on net connections on each computer and wireless, click repair. your modem should show 4 devices hooked to it. router, PC1, PC2, & WlessPC2. Now go into the router and set up MAC address filtering and wireless security using the router ip, also change the default router password and the adsl modem password, being sure to keep a copy.
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:36 AM

Posted 08 July 2007 - 08:18 AM

If both the ADSL modem and the wireless router are acting as DHCP servers you'll get this sort of issue. Try stopping DHCP on the wireless to see what it does (sorta like setting the wireless router up as an access point).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users