Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ms-dos Suitability Problem

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Jove

Jove

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:06 PM

Posted 07 July 2007 - 09:26 PM

Hello There,

The below two messgaes concern basically the same installation, a new software installation.

I had the same problem today with installing AOL set-up.

I solved it with the assistance of a walk through by an AOL tech., but I'm slightly puzzled concerning exactly how we did that.

This is a computer someone gave me and it is a Compaq WXP OS, apparently there is some confliction with this software installation.
If the messages can give you some insight to what they might be, I will appreciate your instructions.

Thanks,

Jove

Posted Image

Posted Image

When you don't have to worry about your computer anymore, you can start
living again !

vrwqzc.gif
Success is a result, not a goal. . . . Flaubert

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Jove

Jove
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2007 - 11:45 PM

hEY,

I found this it looks like the right thing, for the problem.

Sorry, I can not find the System 32 folder, . . I did find an "empty system folder", in C: drive accessing the, Documents in Settings > in the Windows file, . . this would not be it by chance ?

Jove

The following error message is appearing for some users when trying to open the program with Windows XP Operating System:

"C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT. The system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose 'Close' to terminate the application."

The reason that this error is occurring is due to the AUTOEXEC.NT file not existing in the System 32 folder. It appears that many preventative software pieces such Pop-Up blockers, spyware, adaware programs are recognizing this file as being associated with viruses and removing the file.

To fix this error,right click on the attachment AUTOEXEC.NT located below under "Article Attachments"; then click on SAVE TARGET AS, and save it into the System32 folder. This can be completed by saving the file into C:\WINDOWS\system32 if you are running Windows XP.

Then proceed to open up the program again. You should now be able to open the program without seeing this error.
http://kb.bighammer.com/article.aspx?id=10003

Jove

living again !

vrwqzc.gif

#3 Jove

Jove
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2007 - 12:55 AM

hEY,

I found this it looks like the right thing, for the problem.

Sorry, I can not find the System 32 folder, . . I did find an "empty system folder", in C: drive accessing the, Documents in Settings > in the Windows file, . . this would not be it by chance ?

Jove

The following error message is appearing for some users when trying to open the program with Windows XP Operating System:

"C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT. The system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose 'Close' to terminate the application."

The reason that this error is occurring is due to the AUTOEXEC.NT file not existing in the System 32 folder. It appears that many preventative software pieces such Pop-Up blockers, spyware, adaware programs are recognizing this file as being associated with viruses and removing the file.

To fix this error,right click on the attachment AUTOEXEC.NT located below under "Article Attachments"; then click on SAVE TARGET AS, and save it into the System32 folder. This can be completed by saving the file into C:\WINDOWS\system32 if you are running Windows XP.

Then proceed to open up the program again. You should now be able to open the program without seeing this error.
http://kb.bighammer.com/article.aspx?id=10003

Accordingly with concern to the Error report, I was going to ask what good they are to me, since I don't think a Microsoft resonds to them in any way that would help me.

However, is there any useful information that would be of interest to forum administrators and computer experts ?

Jove
Jove

living again !

vrwqzc.gif

#4 Nikas

Nikas

• Members
  • 650 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:06 AM

Posted 08 July 2007 - 01:12 AM

You have to set your system to show all files.

Click Start, open My Computer, select the Tools menu and click Folder Options.
Select the View Tab. Under the Hidden files and folders heading, select Show hidden files and folders.
Uncheck: Hide file extensions for known file types
Uncheck the Hide protected operating system files (recommended) option.
Click Yes to confirm.

Next,

Navigate to C:\Windows\System32.

Do remember to set your system to hide all hidden files.

Click Start, open My Computer, select the Tools menu and click Folder Options.
Select the View Tab. Under the Hidden files and folders heading, uncheck Show hidden files and folders.
Check: Hide file extensions for known file types
Check the Hide protected operating system files (recommended) option.
Click Yes to confirm.

#5 Jove

Jove
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2007 - 09:27 AM

Hello Nikas,

I have located system32 in the WINDOWS folder within local disk C:

I have noticed that the folder in mention is in caps, the file found is in lower case, will it be the one in mention ?

The reason I am asking this is in Search Results I find the following;

Name..................In Folder.....................................Type................Date
system32...........C:\WINDOWS...........................File Folder..........7/8/2007
SYSTEM32..........C:\WINDOWS1386....................File Folder..........9/17/2001

According to previous;

I am apparently going to save this to the above underlined file.

Regards,
Jove

living again !

vrwqzc.gif

#6 Nikas

Nikas

• Members
  • 650 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2007 - 11:31 AM

Don't worry Jove, it is not case-sensitive, thus SYSTEM32, System32, system32.. all are referring to the same folder.

#7 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2007 - 02:08 PM

Just curious, what program are you trying to install when you get this error?
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#8 Jove

Jove
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2007 - 04:16 PM

Nikas,
Thanks guy. It worked !

Posted Today, 03:08 PM
Just curious, what program are you trying to install when you get this error?
Mark

It was a fax software installation, however the problem seems to be a common one for some years according to ;

The reason that this error is occurring is due to the AUTOEXEC.NT file not existing in the System 32 folder. It appears that many preventative software pieces such Pop-Up blockers, spyware, adaware programs are recognizing this file as being associated with viruses and removing the file.(Created on Thursday, January 13, 2005.)

It may have been caused when an installation such as aol was uninstalled and it took with it what generic file, it attached itself to during installation , . . in this case, (AUTOEXEC.NT).

And I am saying that because, as stated in this thread it happened when I re-installed aol on this particular computer.

Just a guess ?

Jove
Jove

Edited by Jove, 08 July 2007 - 04:18 PM.

living again !

vrwqzc.gif

#9 Nikas

Nikas

• Members
  • 650 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2007 - 05:29 AM

You're Welcome Jove, I'm glad to hear that you've solved your problem.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users