Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Excess Memory, Disk Activities, Proecessor

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 bratty burnette

bratty burnette

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:33 AM

Posted 07 July 2007 - 07:04 PM

According to my event viewer, I have processes that are using execessive memory, excessive disk activities, and execess processor. There are several processes involved, including iexplorer.exe, host files, etc.

I have process explorer that also shows that I have two dispatch interrupts in system idel that are using aroung 50% cpu.
I also have the debugging program, but I cannot figure out how to use it. If I could, I might could solve some of my problems.

Is there a book or something that explains the error messages in event viewer? Thank you for any information.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2007 - 05:37 AM

Which debugging program do you have? If it's Windbg, here's a link on how to analyze dump files: http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=35246

There's no "book" that explains the error messages in detail - although you can start here: http://aumha.org/a/stop.htm
Generally an error message will help to point the way towards figuring out the problem, but quite frequently they'll require other troubleshooting steps to remedy the problem.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 bratty burnette

bratty burnette
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2007 - 03:29 PM

Hi, John,

Apparently the debugging tool (windbg) isn't what I need. I need to know how to fix my problem of programs that want all of my computer's resources. My computer is only two months old and runs on Vista Home Basic. In the two months I have had it, I have done nothing but try to find answers to my questions (or the resources on how to solve them). I'm not having crashes, my computer just runs very hard.

I now have 2g memory (Flash Drive). I have Norton 360, Windows Defender, and Spybot. None of them report a virus or malware. I don't know much about computers (I am learning a lot trying to find my answers), but I do know when a machine is straining. My computer is too expensive to turn into a paperweight. I'm about ready to find a hammer.

Thanks,

Donna

#4 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2007 - 08:02 PM

The first step is to find out which processes are misbehaving - use Task Manager and access the Processes tab. Click on View, then on Select Columns and select the IO Reads item - then click OK and stretch out the Task Manager window so you can see all the columns.

Then, just get the names of the stuff that's taking the most out of the CPU, Memory, and IO Reads columns - that'll give us an idea of what's misbehaving. Also include the total number of processes running. Computer specs would help also (such as CPU, RAM, etc)

Edited by usasma, 08 July 2007 - 08:02 PM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 bratty burnette

bratty burnette
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2007 - 06:29 PM

I"m sorry,

I have so many bugs in this computer that are driving me batty. I added a 2G USB 2.0 Flash Driver and some of them went away. This is one of them apparently. I keep it plugged in at all times and use it for startup. The Event Viewer is showing a shar derease in messages.

Of course we know how deceiving these things are.

Thank, Donna

#6 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:33 AM

Posted 27 July 2007 - 02:00 PM

Hi Donna :huh:

You might want to disable some unnecessary services by taking a look at this link:
http://vistarewired.com/2007/02/18/services/

MS_MVP.gif
MS MVP Windows-Security 2006-2016
Member of UNITE, the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

Admin PC Pitstop

#7 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2007 - 09:57 PM

Could Norton 360, Windows Defender, and Spybot be conflicting with each other? Norton 360 should be running all by itself as the other programs may not run properly or take up much-need RAM. Remember, 360 has the same capabilities as Defender and Spybot, running all three of them can be problematic.

3939.png

#8 bratty burnette

bratty burnette
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2007 - 11:48 PM

My security consists of Windows Defender, Avg spyware, antivirus, rootkill and Windows firewall. It seems that every time I use anything that involves scanning, my computer gets very loud. I think that is the fan but I really am not sure. Most of the warings that the Event View logs are for the security software, IE7, and one of the Host files.

One thing that would help is if there was a way of seeing which program is doing something naughty at the time that it is doing it. I have all kinds of programs that I have downloaded, didn't like, and deleted. Some of them were ones that I have no idea what I am looking at (I don't understand a handle from a .dll). I use help a lot, but I don't understand half of what it is talking about. I also spend a lot of time on this website and Google which sometimes helps.

I used the program that Jacee suggested, but I had already disabled most of the programs that were listed.

Thank you for listening,

Donna

#9 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2007 - 12:53 AM

How much actual physical ram do you have? don't count the flash drive, and is your video card/chip using part of the ram?
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#10 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2007 - 05:59 AM

Errors in your Hosts file are something to be concerned about. Try opening your Hosts file with a text editor (such as Notepad) to see what it looks like. An unmodified Hosts file contains very few lines - modified one's contain more. Anything past the first 127.0.0.1 entry has likely been added. You can find the Hosts file here: C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts

If there's more entries in it than the one 127.0.0.1, let us know what they are (if there's a ton of 'em the first 10 or 15 should do) and we can work from there.

#11 bratty burnette

bratty burnette
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2007 - 01:50 PM

I have been all over this computer for information. Here are what I think are relevant.

Physical Memory 500 MG
Dual processors Intel® Pentius® 4 CPU 320 GHz
Processor speed 3191 MHz

Results from task Manager and Process Explorer.Just about nothing was using much CPU was system Idle. I clicked on Properties to see services, threads, etc.

System Idle 97 CPU
Memory 28K
I/O Reads 0

ntkmipe.exe\K\DispatchInterrupt 0x518

There was two of these (because of dual drives?)

Under Strings <error opening files>

In Image file the only items that gave info was

User: NT Authority\ System
Data Execution Protection Status <na>

I use Host files (as suggestied by mvps.org) so ther is lots of changes. Here is a partial list:

127.0.0.1 localhost
127.0.0.1 ad.a8.net
127.0.0.1 asy.a8ww.net
127.0.0.1 www.aaa-livedoor.net #[Trojan-PSW.Win32.Maran.ei]
127.0.0.1 www.abcsearcher.com #[Spamdexing][Microsoft.Strider]
127.0.0.1 abc-search.info
127.0.0.1 abloga.info #[Spamdexing]
127.0.0.1 www.abx4.com #[Adware.ABXToolbar]
127.0.0.1 www.acezip.net #[Win32/Adware.180Solutions]
127.0.0.1 phpadsnew.abac.com
127.0.0.1 a.abnad.net
127.0.0.1 b.abnad.net
127.0.0.1 c.abnad.net #[IE-SpyAd]
127.0.0.1 d.abnad.net
127.0.0.1 e.abnad.net

I hope thsi will help you get me out of this mess. I am trying to learn to solve my problems by mysels, but I sure am glad you are here!

Thanks,

Donna

#12 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2007 - 04:12 PM

copy your hosts.bak file over the hosts file, and then re input your custom hosts settings. another thing is 512 is the bare minimum recommended for vista, you still have the activity because the flash drive acts as a faster paging file, not as actual ram see this Article from M$.

#13 bratty burnette

bratty burnette
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2007 - 09:30 AM

I think my brain just exploded!

How do I copy host.bak over my host files? When you say to input my custom host settings what is that and how do I do it? Should I quit using the hosts file and let the computer take care of hosts?

Also, are you telling me that I have to install more internal memory? Why do computer manufacters get by with selling equipment that isn't able to do what it is supposed to do? I think it's a shame to buy a computer and have to turn around and pay money to get it to work properly.

Thanks for listening,

Donna

#14 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2007 - 02:54 PM

** WARNING ** opening links provided by Oldf@rt can cause brain damage!!

I use Host files (as suggested by mvps.org)

this is what I mean by a custom hosts file

Here is the tutorial on hosts files

This is the link to instructions from mvps.org on the Vista hosts file

The computer companies take advantage of the customers by assembling a computer that meets the minimum requirement, and putting the price as low as possible.

Then when "it runs slow" they say M$ says : just read a box that XP (or whatever) comes in. XP minimum = 128, Vista Minimum = 512.

Edited by oldf@rt, 31 July 2007 - 02:58 PM.

#15 bratty burnette

bratty burnette
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2007 - 07:05 PM

I visited the provided sites and understand Host files a little. I wanted to use the Hostman to update. Problem is, I cannot find Local Security Policy. I ran into the same problem that I seem to encounter a lot. When I get part way through suddenly my screen is'tt the same as described. (May be because of the exploded brain).

I really appreciate the help, just remember that I am not very computer saavy.

One more thing (for now) why am i not getting my email notifications?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users