Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

error in"unknown"-- infback

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Guest_graylobo_*

Guest_graylobo_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 25 January 2005 - 04:27 PM

Hi:Posting this for a friend in trouble needing some intelligent help. Here is her post from elsewhere:
"I have been having problems with my WMP9 for quite some time - I am unable to play .wmv or.wma files - when I try, I get a message saying that WMP is causing a problem in <unknown>. It finally dawned on me that "unknown" to me is different than the computer "unknown" - that, for the computer, it's simply the name of a file (duh!), so I ran a file search. It turns out I have a total of five "unknown" files. One is Dreamquest (probably put in by my grandson, before I got the computer from my son), another, PurpleXP2003\icons (ditto), a third, a utility I put in myself recently - and the fourth and fifth have to do with infback. I googled infback - found some information, but can't make heads nor tails of the info. Are any of these likely to cause the problems I'm having with WMP? And what in the heck is infback (translation from computerese, please)."
Win 98SE, IE6, Zone Alarm, AVG

Everything else plays fine for her but two video file types. She has uninstalled/installed the media player several times, installed new codecs, tried other various media players, and nothing restores her total use of the viewing.
From what I've gathered the infback is associated with the CVS.; and that appears to be development tools. SO WHAT would cause her media player to refuse two formats and what is this error message with infback.?? ANY IDEAS??
ALSO- she had the machine reformatted and OS's changed last spring. But there is references to files from the previous OS still on her machine. How can that be if it was formatted. Did the computer shop fool her when removing XP and installing 98SE- didn't do a proper f-disk and format, ??- grayLobo :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2005 - 08:11 PM

Hi graylobo and welcome to BC

I am unable to play .wmv or.wma files

Some other application may have taken the file association for these two files. Try highlighting a .wmv file then right click while holding down the shift key and select "open with". A box will pop up and you would then scroll down to WMPlayer and highlight that. Make sure there is a check mark in Always use this program to open this type of file and click ok. Repeat for .wma.

ALSO- she had the machine reformatted and OS's changed last spring. But there is references to files from the previous OS still on her machine. How can that be if it was formatted. Did the computer shop fool her when removing XP and installing 98SE- didn't do a proper f-disk and format, ??-

I would suspect that they used an update program to put XP on and then simply rolled it back to 98 again. Does this make sense? Did she go from 98 to XP and back to 98? That could explain the WMP problem too. Its looking for something XP related that was removed during the rollback perhaps. Certainly doesn't sound like it was formatted. What do you mean "references to files from the previous OS"?

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users