Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Itunes Installation Problems

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 coryp25

coryp25

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:21 AM

Posted 07 July 2007 - 05:01 PM

I have read this forum and read most of the topics about installing itunes and the problems people have received. My problem wasn't duplicated by any other member, so thus the reason for a new topic.

Whenever I try to install, i get the error "Could Not Open Key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\classes\.cdda\openwithprogids. Verify that you have sufficient access to that key, or contact your support personnel."

Here is what I know/have done:
--Made sure that I had Admin rights...i do
--Created a new user on the computer with admin rights.
--went into regedit and made sure that I had right to that particual entry
--deleted something in my registry that I thought was the problem...now I can't find out how to get it back.
--uninstalled itunes and quicktime

Can anyone please assist????

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dfence

dfence

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:21 PM

Posted 07 July 2007 - 05:08 PM

editing the registry is not recommended UNLESS YOU HAVE IT BACKED UP !!!!!! Have you tried system restore ? Did you back up the registry ? do you perhaps have a registery cleaner piece of software that creates restore points ?

coryp25 i have had many issues with itunes but unfortunately with the error created in your registry from deleting a key i am not sure what i can do for you until that error is reversed. Did it relate to itunes ?

the first step in solving any itunes issue is trying to wade through the myriad of help they have at their support site, did you try searching their data base for the specific error you received ? Let me know your outcomes, i will still try to help where i can
I'm not as think as you drunk I am

#3 coryp25

coryp25
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2007 - 05:13 PM

I have cccleaner, but I don't think it has a restore point. I also tried to restore the computer but that didn't add it back. I just went to regedit and looked for the .cdda and I couldn't find it. I have .cda but not .cdda. I didn't backup anything before I did this.

#4 dfence

dfence

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:21 PM

Posted 07 July 2007 - 05:26 PM

perhaps another member can help you with this missing registry entry, alas i'm not that smart on such things. This .cdda key, it relates to what exactly ?

have you had a chance to search the itunes help with your error message ?
I'm not as think as you drunk I am

#5 coryp25

coryp25
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2007 - 05:32 PM

I did search itunes support, but after the fact. What ive done is taken that particular registry from another computer to see if that fixes the problem. If not, then I don't know what im going to do.

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:21 AM

Posted 08 July 2007 - 08:15 AM

Most iTunes issues that I've seen recently stem from corrupted downloads of the iTunes software or the update software that they also install. I'd suggest trying fresh downloads as the first thing.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 coryp25

coryp25
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2007 - 08:19 AM

Hey, thanks for the suggestion. I have already done a complete uninstall and then tried to reinstall the software and when im reinstalling the software this is the error that im getting.

#8 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:21 AM

Posted 10 July 2007 - 07:56 AM

The only other thing that I can think of is to give yourself the permissions to access/modify that particular registry key. BUT, I'm unsure of what impact that it may have on the rest of the system. At the very least, backup the key before trying anything with it.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users