Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My Game Randomly Shuts Down

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Phuntsok

Phuntsok

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:44 AM

Posted 07 July 2007 - 04:00 PM

When i play a mmorpg on this computer, The game randomly shuts off. This is my brothers computer and he says it might or might not be happening from holding the up button to long. Also he thinks that it might be because of his new video card. He got it about 6 months ago and its called GeForce 6600V+. Even though he says its from holding the up button to long. Sometimes i dont press the up button at all and it still shuts off. This is really irritating and i would appreciate any help to solve this issue.

EDIT: This game is called Dark age of camelot and its some 3d type game.

Edited by Phuntsok, 07 July 2007 - 04:02 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:44 PM

Posted 08 July 2007 - 11:15 AM

By "shutting off" do you mean that the game disconnects itself from the internet, or the game suddenly freezes, or that the game closes down completely.
Has your brother installed the latest drivers for his new video card? Outdated or bad drivers for both the video and audio cards can often cause problems. Ask him, also, if this happens at any time other than when he (or you) are playing other games, or just doing stuff on the computer.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 ussr1943

ussr1943

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2007 - 11:36 AM

your GPU or CPU or micilainious computer parts could be overheating.
"Ideas are far more powerful than guns."
"The only truly secure system is one that is powered off, cast in a block of concrete and sealed in a lead-lined room with armed guards -- and even then I have my doubts." --Eugene H. Spafford
"One man's terrorist is another's freedom fighter"

#4 Phuntsok

Phuntsok
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2007 - 04:42 PM

By shutting off i mean the game closes down completely. This only happens with this game and not when im browsing the internet or anything else. The computer isnt old or anything so i cant imagine that the game is too much for it. He said he thinks he updated the driver but i will do it again just to make sure.

#5 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:44 PM

Posted 08 July 2007 - 04:54 PM

We can probably eliminate hardware problems such as overheating. Especially if this doesn't happen when playing other games.
I would check both drivers, just to be sure, and also find out if you are missing any game patches. When the game shuts down, I assume you still have internet connexion, and that you don't get any kind of server disconnecting messages. Some games shut down when the server disconnects.
If this checks out OK, then try completely uninstalling the game and then re-install it.
Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#6 Hempie

Hempie

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2007 - 12:21 PM

A buddy of mine ran into the same issue with WoW. It turns out he had some bad sectors on his RAM. We replaced it and he hasnt had a problem since. Hope that helped

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users