Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Patriot Ram Regocnition/stability Issue

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 D-Love

D-Love

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:45 PM

Posted 07 July 2007 - 03:14 PM

Hi folks,
Had a query regarding a RAM upgrade that I just did that has caused some problems.
My computer specs are as below, comp is approx 4 months old. First build for me, and there have been soem teething problems, but nothing extreme.

The problem arose just recently, when I purchased another 2Gb of Patriot RAM to upgrade the system to 4Gb.
The RAM is identical.
When I initially slotted the new RAM alongside the old, the comp failed to boot. Removed it and it booted fine.
Then, I increased the motherboard RAM voltage by 0.4v to 2.2v as recommended by Patriot for this RAM. The 2 Gb worked fine after this.
I then added the new 2Gb alongside.
The computer woudl then boot, but recognizes only 3.5Gb in System.
In addition, the comp runs unstable, with frequent error messages.
The RAM is HOT, almost too hot to keep a finger on it right after shutting down.

I have not played with the timings or OC'ed the RAM ( as I am planning to do as soon as this issue is sorted out)
The PCU is stock, not OC'd.

I tried to run MS RAM diagnostic utility, and got failure across the board, with the exception of MATS and INVC, which passed. I have no idea what this means, but I tried to get as much info before posting here.

I'm not a complete n00b, nor do I have crazy skills. Just looking for a helping hand with some experitse for sorting this issue.

Many thanks in advance for your help,

-T

Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 Conroe 2.4GHz LGA 775 Processor Model BX80557E6600 - Retail
GIGABYTE GA-965P-DS3 LGA 775 Intel P965 Express ATX Intel Motherboard
EVGA 640-P2-N821-AR GeForce 8800GTS 640MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Video Card
Patriot eXtreme Performance 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model PDC22G6400LLK -
Thermaltake W0106RU Complies with ATX 12V 2.2 & EPS 12V version 700W Power Supply - Retail
Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 (Perpendicular Recording) ST3320620A 320GB 7200 RPM IDE Ultra ATA100 Hard Drive

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2007 - 04:04 PM

The 32 bit versions of XP and Vista will only recognize 3.25 to 3.5 gB of the 4 gB that you've got installed - this is normal (I do this on my system). The other RAM issues aren't normal, although raising the voltage will generally raise the temperature of the RAM.

Will the old RAM work in the other slots without the new RAM installed? Otherwise, I'd suspect an issue with the motherboard - there may be mention in the motherboard manual, or you may have to contact Gigabyte for additional information.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2007 - 04:43 PM

all 4 sticks have the same exact number?

you might try in flex mode

make sure 1 and 3
2 and 4
are from the same batch

you might have to increase air flow around them

test each stick with memtest from a boot cd
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#4 D-Love

D-Love
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2007 - 01:32 PM

Thanks for the suggestions, folks.
All sticks are of identical make, 1&3, 2&4 are from the same package, will check for batch.
I have a huge Zallman cooler pointed at them, they were very hot to the touch after testing, but otherwise are relatively cool.
I have decreased teh voltage by 0.1, which has semed to help with the stability.

Mad busy tdy, but will test and post when I get the chance.

Is it possible to run a 64 bit OS so that I can get the joy of all 4 Gb?

#5 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2007 - 02:49 PM

one quick test is pull one of the new sticks, that should kick you out of dual channel mode

then test with the other new stick

unfortunately flex mode is an auto setting if it detects different sizes but probably not smart enough to detect different chipsets
on the ram sticks

you would have to examine old vs new
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2007 - 06:13 AM

You can run 64 bit, but would have to buy a new copy of Windows to do it. Before purchasing, I'd check to ensure that there are drivers available for all of your hardware devices - if not available, you'll have difficulties with it.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users