Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Update - Says It Installed But Shows Up Again.

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Corvinus

Corvinus

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:54 AM

Posted 07 July 2007 - 01:50 PM

Last week I had to get my computer reformated and windows update seemed fine. I have Windows XP Pro and it's just the bast few days I've had problems. My updater keeps alerting me to three files I need installing. Two are 'Update for Windows XP' and one is a 'Security Update for Windows XP' I click install and it goes through the process and says all three are done and installed fine. I get no errors or anything, but then as soon as it goes away, the yellow shield pops up again and says I have the same three items needing to be installed.

I've tried updating at least three times now and each time it says it was successful only for it to pop up again. I've even written the KB numbers that are written after it down and it's the same thing each time. I've tried rebooting and then doing it but that hasn't done anything either. I didn't have this problem with any of the previous updates and I'm not sure what to do now.

-C

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:54 PM

Posted 07 July 2007 - 03:50 PM

Hi Corvinus and Welcome to Bleeping Computer. :thumbsup:

Click Start/ All Programs/ select Windows Update. It will link you to the Windows update website and show updates needed.
Select Update History in the left hand window of your screen on this site. This will show all updates, which ones failed and why.
You are probably missing previous critical updates and may have to go back and get those updates, then the Windows XP SP2 will work properly.

Follow the restart prompts in between each update as instructed until they are all done. It will take a while, but you'll be back in business and running soothly in no time.
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users