Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Congress?

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 ussr1943

ussr1943

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:43 PM

Posted 07 July 2007 - 12:29 PM

Here in the U.S. the gov't is supposedly by the people for the people. Unfortuneately i'm not so sure this is totally true.

1) Congress passes a medical plan for complete coverage of themselvs, why should they recieve complete coverage while so many don't even have a medical plan? Are they better? if so then it's not a gov't by the people.

2) To get any true political position here you must have alot of money, mainly for campaigning, not many Americans can come up with as much money as those in political offices. This also include comming from the "right" families. (yes i know many politicians get donations)

3) Congress pass laws that they can't even understand themselvs, If this is a gov't for the people you would think that any average joe or susey could walk up and read a new bill and understand it.

In my opinion Congress men/women just sit around all day attempting to pass laws, that for some reason the other political party will attempt to block(What i mean is one political party is completely against the other no matter what the issue is), making the process longer, and leading to little amendments to bills that nit pick. If your in office you should be doing your job, and in this case it is your duty to the American People to pass laws and bills that are for the good of all American people.

I'm interested in everyone's opinion on this topic, I hope to see some good points made without getting off topic or starting arguments.
"Ideas are far more powerful than guns."
"The only truly secure system is one that is powered off, cast in a block of concrete and sealed in a lead-lined room with armed guards -- and even then I have my doubts." --Eugene H. Spafford
"One man's terrorist is another's freedom fighter"

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2007 - 02:26 PM

Congress? Hypocrisy?

There was doubt?

You've described one of the problems of the extreme partisanship of the two party system, too.

I believe that is one of the main reasons the Unity '08 folks are trying to get together.

Not to create a third party, but to get the present parties to become more responsive to "we, the people".

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

#3 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2007 - 11:28 PM

We the people hum...more like we the politicians.

WE THE PEOPLE NEED TO STAND UP and make the people in office responsible and DO THEIR JOBS RIGHT or get kicked out of office!

Like I said in another topic why complain and do nothing? What can we do to make it better?

#4 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:43 AM

Posted 08 July 2007 - 12:44 AM

Lets keep it simple. NEVER vote for the incumbent, regardless of the party.
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#5 solaris32

solaris32

• Members
  • 372 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2007 - 09:18 AM

I agree. I hate hipocrasy, and politicians are some of the biggest hipocrits. Like CGM said, we need to do something. What? I have no idea. If the three candidates running for mayor or whatever are irresponsible hipocrits, who do you vote for?
When I'm asking for help, please explain, in detail, every step. Thank you :).
I have nightmares about computer glitches and bugs.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,612 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2007 - 10:40 AM

I agree. I hate hipocrasy, and politicians are some of the biggest hipocrits. Like CGM said, we need to do something. What? I have no idea. If the three candidates running for mayor or whatever are irresponsible hipocrits, who do you vote for?

That's the problem, in the recent past I've found myself voting for the lessor of the idiots.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:43 PM

Posted 08 July 2007 - 10:55 AM

There can only be as much reality in the effect as in the cause. Until the electorate demands that Members of Congress spend more time on considering what is good for the country than they do snuggling up to sources of funds or waging partisan warfare on the floors of the Senate, and until they are held accountable for their votes, then they will continue to be largely ineffectual, and spend endless time passing obscure laws that interfere in everything without doing any real good.

Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#8 ussr1943

ussr1943
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2007 - 11:19 AM

There can only be as much reality in the effect as in the cause. Until the electorate demands that Members of Congress spend more time on considering what is good for the country than they do snuggling up to sources of funds or waging partisan warfare on the floors of the Senate, and until they are held accountable for their votes, then they will continue to be largely ineffectual, and spend endless time passing obscure laws that interfere in everything without doing any real good.

Cheers,
John

Right! :thumbsup:
"Ideas are far more powerful than guns."
"The only truly secure system is one that is powered off, cast in a block of concrete and sealed in a lead-lined room with armed guards -- and even then I have my doubts." --Eugene H. Spafford
"One man's terrorist is another's freedom fighter"

#9 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2007 - 01:41 PM

If the three candidates running for mayor or whatever are irresponsible hipocrits, who do you vote for?

Let the people know. Run yourself if you can do it better. My treasurer was just put in jail for DRUG charges!

#10 solaris32

solaris32

• Members
  • 372 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2007 - 03:17 PM

If the three candidates running for mayor or whatever are irresponsible hipocrits, who do you vote for?

Let the people know. Run yourself if you can do it better. My treasurer was just put in jail for DRUG charges!

Not anyone can run. And even if you are qualified, you need massive amounts of money and contacts with the right people. A lot of the honest people just don't have this.
When I'm asking for help, please explain, in detail, every step. Thank you :).
I have nightmares about computer glitches and bugs.

#11 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2007 - 09:32 PM

Yes another thing why does it take so much money? Seems like the government should fund most of the campaign and let people who have money spend extra so to sorta keep them on a level playing field.

#12 TheYoda

TheYoda

• Members
  • 466 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2007 - 12:56 PM

Yes, they are hypocrites, I agree. I always said, there are good and bads, pros and cons...than there is progress and congress...go figure...

Regards,
TheYoda

Edited by TheYoda, 10 July 2007 - 12:56 PM.

"A coward dies a thousand times before his death. The valiant never taste of death but once." -William Shakespeare

Fold for your future...Help us find a cure.

#13 jwinathome

jwinathome

• Members
  • 1,360 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2007 - 07:21 AM

Lame duck congress....for the first six months the democrat controlled congress has accomplished absolutely nothing, and has opened over 300 investigations. Wow!!

#14 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2007 - 07:55 AM

What do you mean "they've accomplished absolutely nothing"?

300 investigations is more than the Republicans did in their first 6 months!

:thumbsup:

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

#15 mommabear

mommabear

• Members
  • 492 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2007 - 08:09 AM

What do you mean "they've accomplished absolutely nothing"?

300 investigations is more than the Republicans did in their first 6 months!

:thumbsup:

It's more than the republicans have done in 6 years, actually. It's called "oversight", which is part of Congress' job description. The previous republican majority called it "outofsight".

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users