Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Recovering Administrator Account

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 SebD

SebD

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:15 AM

Posted 07 July 2007 - 10:51 AM

Got a problem.

Background:

Have a Laptop and a Desktop.

Both running XP.
Both NTFS file system.

I need to clean my laptop PC down cuz it's a mess and in spite of Internet security, it's slowing up in an indicative of mal-ware style.

Got over 30Gb of important info to save.

Problem:

Easiest way is to hook up Hard drive to another and do a direct transfer (got no DVD Writer on the machine and even if I did, that's a crappy way to backup 30+Gb).

I know you can't transfer if you've got a password on your log-in account, so I removed it.

When I hook the HD up to the desktop host machine, it still won't let me transfer it as it says I don't have permission to even open it.

So I put the HD back in the laptop and checked none of my files were "private" from the only other log-in account (guest).

Tried again to transfer but still refused permission.

Put HD back into Laptop again and find that "Guest" account can't see my 9Administrator" files.

Created a new account wiv Admin priviledges in the hope that I could access files in "Administrator" account from there, but when I started up, my "Administrator" account was not shown at log-in (Just the new one "Ad2" and "Guest").

restarted in "safe-Mode" and can log in under all three which was when I noticed the message that "The Administrator Account is only visible if there are no other accounts (except "guest"), or in Safe-Mode.

So tried to delete the new "AD2" account (but Administrator won't give me the option and Guest doesn't have the admin priviledges - and it won't let me give Guest the priviledges and an account can't delete itself. I can create another account with admin priviledges and delete "AD2" but that will just leave me wiv another account that I can't delete, so "Administrator" still won't be visible on normal startup.

I restarted in normal mode and tried to create an account called "Administrator" in the vain hope that that would give me back my files but was told that an account with that name already exists.

I know I can do a little reverse osmosis here and hook up the host Desktop hard drive to the laptop and transfer the files in safe-mode, but to get the drive from my desktop will be a grade A bleep to do and......

......It's not the point. I shouldn't have to.

Effectively, this suggests that if you have a virgin machine and do a load of work under the Administrator account and at a later stage decide to add another account, you will lose access to your Administrator Account (and ipso facto your work) under normal start-up.

Any Guru's or ordinary guys who have overcome this problem wanna share the secret wiv me......PLEASE!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noaim

noaim

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:15 AM

Posted 07 July 2007 - 11:06 AM

is it home or proffesional cause im pretty sure in proffesional you can change to logging in by typing the user name instead of the fast user switching screen?

#3 SebD

SebD
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:15 AM

Posted 07 July 2007 - 11:22 AM

is it home or proffesional cause im pretty sure in proffesional you can change to logging in by typing the user name instead of the fast user switching screen?

Hi and fanx.

It's Pro and you're right that that option is offered. Unfortunately, each time I select it and save the setting, it loses it and when I go to that section of Manage the Way You Log off and On, it's unchecked - even after a restart and I've disabled Windows restore just in case some mal-ware was playing around wiv me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users