Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

You Do Not Have Permission To View This Workgroup!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 B-Dub

B-Dub

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:05 AM

Posted 07 July 2007 - 10:42 AM

Here is what I am attempting to accomplish:

I will have two cash registers, one office computer, and one laptop networked together. The laptop will be able to access and utilize software on the office computer via remote control software such as remote desktop, pcAnywhere, or VNC.

Here are the results of my efforts thus far:

The two cash registers, office computer, and the laptop are all hardwired into a 12 port switch. The office computer can see and work with all of the shared folders on the two cash registers. The office computer can see but not access the laptop. The laptop cannot see the cash registers or the office computer. All of the computers are on static IP addresses to accommodate access via the remote management software mentioned in the above paragraph (192.168.1.xxx). The specific error message that I receive on the laptop when attempting to access the office computer's workgroup is as follows: "Workgroup is not accessible. You may not have permission to use this network resource." I have also received a message on the office computer stating that I cannot access shares on other computers when trying to access the laptop.

Here are the troubleshooting measures that I have taken:
  • Verified both Office and Laptop are running Windows XP Professional with Service Pack 2 installed
  • File and Print sharing is enabled in the firewall. I actually disabled the firewall on both computers since they will not be connecting to the internet.
  • I ran an IP scan on both computers. Both the laptop and the office computer show the IP addresses used on the two cash registers and the office computer as alive and the IP address used on the laptop as dead.
  • I have verified that NetBIOS over TCP/IP is enabled and that the TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper service is running and set to automatic on both computers.
  • Ipconfig /all shows the node type as hybrid on both computers. IP address, subnet, gateway, DNS are all configured properly.
  • The computer browser service is running and set to automatic on both computers.
  • TCP/IP is the only transport protocol installed on both computers.
  • There are no third party client software running that can interfere with settings.
  • Both computers are clean and free of any spyware and/or adware that could adversely affect the ability to network. The office computer has never been connected to the internet.
  • Winsock has been reset.
  • The IP stack was reset.
  • I added the office computer and the laptop to the same workgroup both manually and by using the network setup wizard.
  • There are no duplicate NetBIOS names
All of this has seemed to have been futile. I feel that I am no closer to a solution than I was after I first setup the network. If I attempt to connect to the laptop from the office using Remote Desktop Connection, it attempts to connect for awhile before finally giving me the finger. If I try to connect to the office from the laptop using the same program, it immediately gives me a "network is not accessible" or a "you do not have permission" message.

I am going to take my personal laptop in and try to see if I can get it to access the network. I am not sure that this will tell me much other than I will know that is just a setting on the laptop that is not correct.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I may have overlooked? Any help would be appreciated

Thanks,

B-Dub

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2007 - 03:06 PM

The most common problem with workgroups is that they work on the permissions from the Guest account by default. The usual "fix" is to ensure that each system has a "mirrored" account on it (this effectively bypasses the Guest account permissions). You do this by creating identical accounts on each computer with the same account name and password. DO NOT rename accounts as it won't work then. Then reboot the workgroup and see if you can access things then.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 B-Dub

B-Dub
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2007 - 09:28 PM

Usasma,

Thank you very much for the suggestion. I will not be able to try this for a couple of days. If this is successful, I will let you know. My only concern is that the laptop does not appear to give forth an effort to connect to the computer before the error message pops up. If both computers attempted to connect like the office computer does, I would think that this very well may be the answer.

In any case, I am willing to try about anything at this point. I have previously networked a dealership with over 40 computers, 11 printers, 2 print servers, and set up a vpn tunnel with a sister dealership so inventories can be shared over the network. and did not have near the headache that I have trying to connect these 2 computers!

I do appreciate your advice. If you think of anything else, please post!

B-Dub

#4 B-Dub

B-Dub
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2007 - 04:33 PM

Problem Solved

Thank you to everyone that offered suggestions on how to correct my problem. I fear that I just overcomplicated the issue. I took my laptop into the office and connected it to the 12 port switch. Within 2 minutes I was able to view the entire network as well as connect to and control any computer that I wanted using both Remote Desktop and pcAnywhere. So my suspicions were confirmed and the problem was then narrowed down to my wife's laptop only. After about five minutes of having a staring contest with the laptop LCD screen, I did some further investigation into the Norton Internet Security center which I lovingly refer to as the DEVIL! I will elaborate on that last statement in a future post.

During the previous wrestling match with this network issue, I just disabled the Norton Internet Security program. However, Norton is thoughtful enough to leave it's grubby little finger prints everywhere which still prevented connectivity to the network. Once I finally jumped through 45 hoops of Norton's choosing, It finally gave in to my wishes and moved on the antivirus mansion in the sky, immediately releasing the laptop from its curse and allowing it to roam freely in network land.

B-Dub

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2007 - 06:54 AM

Norton Internet Security is the Devil? Now, why would you disrespect the Devil so much? :thumbsup:

Edited by usasma, 16 July 2007 - 06:54 AM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users