Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

G++ Errors

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 Glunn11

Glunn11

• Members
  • 262 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:01 PM

Posted 07 July 2007 - 10:40 AM

Hello again!
I've been learning how to program in C++, and magically haven't made it past Tutorial #2. I use Ubuntu's g++ compiler. I get the following errors whenever I try to compile the following simple codes:

PROGRAM #1:

#include <iostream>
#include <iomanip>

int main()
{

std::cout << setw(8) << "Hello!" << setw(12) << "Bonjour!" << setw(10) << "Buenos Dias!\n";

return 0;
}

ERROR: "setw" not defined in this scope.

PROGRAM #2:

#include <iostream>
#include <iomanip>

int main()
{

std::cout << setiosflags(ios::hex) << 255 << resetiosflags(ios::hex);

return 0;
}

ERROR: "setiosflags" not defined in this scope
ERROR: "ios" not defined in this scope
ERROR: "resetiosflags" not defined in this scope
ERROR: "ios" not defined in this scope

Help!!!! Thanks :D
-Glen

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2007 - 11:27 AM

Yeah... so probably the first thing you need to learn as a programmer (which is way more than just learning a language) is how to research. Have you figured out what the error message means on the first tutorial yet? If you notice, the errors in the second lesson are the same as the errors in the first sample. Don't worry about the second tutorial yet, you have not finished the first one.

What tutorials are you using? They typical hello world tutorial is more along the lines of:
#include <iostream.h>

main()
{
	cout << "Hello World!";
	return 0;
}

#3 Glunn11

Glunn11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 262 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2007 - 01:54 PM

I have typed in Google the error messages with no success on the findings except a site in German (well, that's useful).
The tutorials I am referring to:

TUTORIAL #1: http://www.gamingw.net/tutorials/517
TUTORIAL #2: http://www.gamingw.net/tutorials/566

Yes, the very first code you were taught was the one you mentioned:

#include <iostream.h>

int main()
{
	cout << "Hello World!";
	return 0;
}

HOWEVER, that one did not work, for the following error messages:
ERROR: "cout" not defined in this scope.
As well as learning that iostream.h was a deprecated value. I fixed this by doing the following:

#include <iostream>

int main()
{

std::cout << "Hello world!";
return 0;

}

std:: also fixed the problem in front of setw, but I don't know if that's OK to do, because in Program #2 in my first post, I fixed the errors mentioned there with std as well. Program #2 is supposed to return "FF", but with the std it just returned "255".

Edited by Glunn11, 07 July 2007 - 01:58 PM.

#4 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2007 - 02:36 PM

std is a namespace. If you include the following in your code:
using namespace std;
then you do not have to explicitly call it like this:
std::cout << "Hello world!";

I would suggest that you maybe use some tutorials that are not written by... well, nevermind, A tutorial like this would probably help you:
http://www.cplusplus.com/doc/tutorial/program_structure.html
http://www.cplusplus.com/doc/tutorial/

And the following link will help you look up library api information.
http://www.cppreference.com/

#5 Glunn11

Glunn11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 262 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2007 - 03:48 PM

Alright, I'll give those links a shot. Thanks for your help.

#6 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2007 - 04:20 PM

Keep in mind that learning to program, and learning a language are two different things all rolled up in one. The links I gave you should help explain the basics of programming (which is most important) while teaching C++ syntax. It is boring as heck to learn how to program at first.

#7 Glunn11

Glunn11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 262 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2007 - 05:56 PM

Haha, thanks for the warning! :D
I've tried to teach myself Python and got to the point where it started to get a little hard (I got lost at file saving/loading). I think C++ will be more beneficial, anyway, as I've heard many people on this community say.
EDIT: Those tutorials are great! Usually the tutorials provided from the language's site aren't so newbie-friendly :D

Edited by Glunn11, 07 July 2007 - 06:37 PM.

#8 Glunn11

Glunn11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 262 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2007 - 09:45 PM

Well, I felt impolite posting a new topic :D so, here's my next issue. I don't know how to word my request in Google, and all my attempts have failed.

I want to be able to use an IF condition (or something to that effect) to see what operating system the user is using. Is this possible? Thanks!

EDIT: Also, I'm trying to make some real-life version of the game The Ship, involving a C++ Application to work as the information hub. I have created the Register Players section, which currently looks like this:

#include <iostream>
#include <string>
#include <cstdlib>
#include <sstream>
using namespace std;

//Randomize courtesy of Cprogramming.com
int randomize (int a, int b)
{
	const int LOW = a;
	const int HIGH = b;
	int pinnumber = rand() % (HIGH - LOW + 1) + LOW;
}	
int main ()
{
	char choice;

int players, pin1, pin2, pin3, pin4, pin5, pin6, pin7, pin8, pin9, pin10, pin11, pin12, pin13, pin14;
	//Declare PIN Numbers

string player1, player2, player3, player4, player5, player6, player7, player8, player9, player10, player11, player12, player13, player14;
	//Declare player names

cout << setw(30) << "Welcome to ShipServer!!!\n";
	cout << "(R)egister Players, (Q)uarry Information, (D)eath Records ";
	cin >> choice;
	if (choice == "r")
	{
		cout << "How many players are playing? ";
		cin >> players;
		if (players >= 5)
		{
			cout << "Player One, please enter your name: ";
			getline (cin, player1);
			pin1 = randomize(1000,9999);
			cout << "Your pin is: " << pin1 << ". Remember it. Hit RETURN when finished.";
			cin >> "";
			cout << "Player Two, please enter your name: ";
			getline (cin, player2);
			pin2 = randomize(1000,9999);
			cout << "Your pin is: " << pin2 << ". Remember it. Hit RETURN when finished.";
			cin >> "";
			getline (cin, player3);
			pin3 = randomize(1000,9999);
			cout << "Your pin is: " << pin3 << ". Remember it. Hit RETURN when finished.";
			cin >> "";
			cout << "Player Four, please enter your name: ";
			getline (cin, player4);
			pin4 = randomize(1000,9999);
			cout << "Your pin is: " << pin4 << ". Remember it. Hit RETURN when finished.";
			cin >> "";
			cout << "Player Five, please enter your name: ";
			getline (cin, player5);
			pin5 = randomize(1000,9999);
			cout << "Your pin is: " << pin5 << ". Remember it. Hit RETURN when finished.";
			cin >> "";
			if (players >= 6)
			{
				cout << "Player Six, please enter your name: ";
				getline (cin, player6);
				pin6 = randomize(1000,9999);
				cout << "Your pin is: " << pin6 << ". Remember it. Hit RETURN when finished.";
				cin >> "";
				if (players >= 7)
				{
					cout << "Player Seven, please enter your name: ";
					getline (cin, player7);
					pin7 = randomize(1000,9999);
					cout << "Your pin is: " << pin7 << ". Remember it. Hit RETURN when finished.";
					cin >> "";
					if (players >= 8)
					{
						cout << "Player Eight, please enter your name: ";
						getline (cin, player8);
						pin8 = randomize(1000,9999);
						cout << "Your pin is: " << pin8 << ". Remember it. Hit RETURN when finished.";
						cin >> "";
						if (players >= 9)
						{
							cout << "Player Nine, please enter your name: ";
							getline (cin, player9);
							pin9 = randomize(1000,9999);
							cout << "Your pin is: " << pin9 << ". Remember it. Hit RETURN when finished.";
							cin >> "";
							if (players >= 10)
							{
								cout << "Player Ten, please enter your name: ";
								getline (cin, player10);
								int pin10 = randomize(1000,9999);
								cout << "Your pin is: " << pin10 << ". Remember it. Hit RETURN when finished.";
								cin >> "";
								if (players >= 11)
								{
									cout << "Player Eleven, please enter your name: ";
									getline (cin, player11);
									int pin11 = randomize(1000,9999);
									cout << "Your pin is: " << pin11 << ". Remember it. Hit RETURN when finished.";
									cin >> "";
									if (players >= 12)
									{
										cout << "Player Twelve, please enter your name: ";
										getline (cin, player12);
										pin12 = randomize(1000,9999);
										cout << "Your pin is: " << pin12 << ". Remember it. Hit RETURN when finished.";
										cin >> "";
										if (players >= 13)
										{
											cout << "Player Thirteen, please enter your name: ";
											getline (cin, player13);
											pin13 = randomize(1000,9999);
											cout << "Your pin is: " << pin13 << ". Remember it. Hit RETURN when finished.";
											cin >> "";
											if (players >= 14)
											{
												cout << "Player Fourteen, please enter your name: ";
												getline (cin, player14);
												pin14 = randomize(1000,9999);
												cout << "Your pin is: " << pin14 << ". Remember it. Hit RETURN when finished.";
												cin >> "";
											}
										}
									}
								}
							}
						}
					}
				}
			}
		}
	}
	return 0;
}

So, I compile the code in the g++ compiler, and something was VERY bad...

/usr/lib/gcc/i486-linux-gnu/4.1.2/../../../../include/c++/4.1.2/istream:201: note: std::basic_istream<_CharT, _Traits>& std::basic_istream<_CharT, _Traits>::operator>>(double&) [with _CharT = char, _Traits = std::char_traits<char>]
/usr/lib/gcc/i486-linux-gnu/4.1.2/../../../../include/c++/4.1.2/istream:204: note: std::basic_istream<_CharT, _Traits>& std::basic_istream<_CharT, _Traits>::operator>>(long double&) [with _CharT = char, _Traits = std::char_traits<char>]
/usr/lib/gcc/i486-linux-gnu/4.1.2/../../../../include/c++/4.1.2/istream:207: note: std::basic_istream<_CharT, _Traits>& std::basic_istream<_CharT, _Traits>::operator>>(void*&) [with _CharT = char, _Traits = std::char_traits<char>]
/usr/lib/gcc/i486-linux-gnu/4.1.2/../../../../include/c++/4.1.2/istream:230: note: std::basic_istream<_CharT, _Traits>& std::basic_istream<_CharT, _Traits>::operator>>(std::basic_streambuf<_CharT, _Traits>*) [with _CharT = char, _Traits = std::char_traits<char>]
shipserver.cpp:85: error: no match for ‚œoperator>>‚„ in ‚œstd::cin >> ""‚„
/usr/lib/gcc/i486-linux-gnu/4.1.2/../../../../include/c++/4.1.2/istream:131: note: candidates are: std::basic_istream<_CharT, _Traits>& std::basic_istream<_CharT, _Traits>::operator>>(std::basic_istream<_CharT, _Traits>& (*)(std::basic_istream<_CharT, _Traits>&)) [with _CharT = char, _Traits = std::char_traits<char>]
/usr/lib/gcc/i486-linux-gnu/4.1.2/../../../../include/c++/4.1.2/istream:134: note: std::basic_istream<_CharT, _Traits>& std::basic_istream<_CharT, _Traits>::operator>>(std::basic_ios<_CharT, _Traits>& (*)(std::basic_ios<_CharT, _Traits>&)) [with _CharT = char, _Traits = std::char_traits<char>]
/usr/lib/gcc/i486-linux-gnu/4.1.2/../../../../include/c++/4.1.2/istream:137: note: std::basic_istream<_CharT, _Traits>& std::basic_istream<_CharT, _Traits>::operator>>(std::ios_base& (*)(std::ios_base&)) [with _CharT = char, _Traits = std::char_traits<char>]
/usr/lib/gcc/i486-linux-gnu/4.1.2/../../../../include/c++/4.1.2/istream:169: note: std::basic_istream<_CharT, _Traits>& std::basic_istream<_CharT, _Traits>::operator>>(bool&) [with _CharT = char, _Traits = std::char_traits<char>]
/usr/lib/gcc/i486-linux-gnu/4.1.2/../../../../include/c++/4.1.2/istream:172: note: std::basic_istream<_CharT, _Traits>& std::basic_istream<_CharT, _Traits>::operator>>(short int&) [with _CharT = char, _Traits = std::char_traits<char>]
/usr/lib/gcc/i486-linux-gnu/4.1.2/../../../../include/c++/4.1.2/istream:175: note: std::basic_istream<_CharT, _Traits>& std::basic_istream<_CharT, _Traits>::operator>>(short unsigned int&) [with _CharT = char, _Traits = std::char_traits<char>]
/usr/lib/gcc/i486-linux-gnu/4.1.2/../../../../include/c++/4.1.2/istream:178: note: std::basic_istream<_CharT, _Traits>& std::basic_istream<_CharT, _Traits>::operator>>(int&) [with _CharT = char, _Traits = std::char_traits<char>]
/usr/lib/gcc/i486-linux-gnu/4.1.2/../../../../include/c++/4.1.2/istream:181: note: std::basic_istream<_CharT, _Traits>& std::basic_istream<_CharT, _Traits>::operator>>(unsigned int&) [with _CharT = char, _Traits = std::char_traits<char>]
/usr/lib/gcc/i486-linux-gnu/4.1.2/../../../../include/c++/4.1.2/istream:184: note: std::basic_istream<_CharT, _Traits>& std::basic_istream<_CharT, _Traits>::operator>>(long int&) [with _CharT = char, _Traits = std::char_traits<char>]
/usr/lib/gcc/i486-linux-gnu/4.1.2/../../../../include/c++/4.1.2/istream:187: note: std::basic_istream<_CharT, _Traits>& std::basic_istream<_CharT, _Traits>::operator>>(long unsigned int&) [with _CharT = char, _Traits = std::char_traits<char>]
/usr/lib/gcc/i486-linux-gnu/4.1.2/../../../../include/c++/4.1.2/istream:191: note: std::basic_istream<_CharT, _Traits>& std::basic_istream<_CharT, _Traits>::operator>>(long long int&) [with _CharT = char, _Traits = std::char_traits<char>]
/usr/lib/gcc/i486-linux-gnu/4.1.2/../../../../include/c++/4.1.2/istream:194: note: std::basic_istream<_CharT, _Traits>& std::basic_istream<_CharT, _Traits>::operator>>(long long unsigned int&) [with _CharT = char, _Traits = std::char_traits<char>]
/usr/lib/gcc/i486-linux-gnu/4.1.2/../../../../include/c++/4.1.2/istream:198: note: std::basic_istream<_CharT, _Traits>& std::basic_istream<_CharT, _Traits>::operator>>(float&) [with _CharT = char, _Traits = std::char_traits<char>]
/usr/lib/gcc/i486-linux-gnu/4.1.2/../../../../include/c++/4.1.2/istream:201: note: std::basic_istream<_CharT, _Traits>& std::basic_istream<_CharT, _Traits>::operator>>(double&) [with _CharT = char, _Traits = std::char_traits<char>]
/usr/lib/gcc/i486-linux-gnu/4.1.2/../../../../include/c++/4.1.2/istream:204: note: std::basic_istream<_CharT, _Traits>& std::basic_istream<_CharT, _Traits>::operator>>(long double&) [with _CharT = char, _Traits = std::char_traits<char>]
/usr/lib/gcc/i486-linux-gnu/4.1.2/../../../../include/c++/4.1.2/istream:207: note: std::basic_istream<_CharT, _Traits>& std::basic_istream<_CharT, _Traits>::operator>>(void*&) [with _CharT = char, _Traits = std::char_traits<char>]
/usr/lib/gcc/i486-linux-gnu/4.1.2/../../../../include/c++/4.1.2/istream:230: note: std::basic_istream<_CharT, _Traits>& std::basic_istream<_CharT, _Traits>::operator>>(std::basic_streambuf<_CharT, _Traits>*) [with _CharT = char, _Traits = std::char_traits<char>]
shipserver.cpp:93: error: no match for ‚œoperator>>‚„ in ‚œstd::cin >> ""‚„
/usr/lib/gcc/i486-linux-gnu/4.1.2/../../../../include/c++/4.1.2/istream:131: note: candidates are: std::basic_istream<_CharT, _Traits>& std::basic_istream<_CharT, _Traits>::operator>>(std::basic_istream<_CharT, _Traits>& (*)(std::basic_istream<_CharT, _Traits>&)) [with _CharT = char, _Traits = std::char_traits<char>]
/usr/lib/gcc/i486-linux-gnu/4.1.2/../../../../include/c++/4.1.2/istream:134: note: std::basic_istream<_CharT, _Traits>& std::basic_istream<_CharT, _Traits>::operator>>(std::basic_ios<_CharT, _Traits>& (*)(std::basic_ios<_CharT, _Traits>&)) [with _CharT = char, _Traits = std::char_traits<char>]
/usr/lib/gcc/i486-linux-gnu/4.1.2/../../../../include/c++/4.1.2/istream:137: note: std::basic_istream<_CharT, _Traits>& std::basic_istream<_CharT, _Traits>::operator>>(std::ios_base& (*)(std::ios_base&)) [with _CharT = char, _Traits = std::char_traits<char>]
/usr/lib/gcc/i486-linux-gnu/4.1.2/../../../../include/c++/4.1.2/istream:169: note: std::basic_istream<_CharT, _Traits>& std::basic_istream<_CharT, _Traits>::operator>>(bool&) [with _CharT = char, _Traits = std::char_traits<char>]
/usr/lib/gcc/i486-linux-gnu/4.1.2/../../../../include/c++/4.1.2/istream:172: note: std::basic_istream<_CharT, _Traits>& std::basic_istream<_CharT, _Traits>::operator>>(short int&) [with _CharT = char, _Traits = std::char_traits<char>]
/usr/lib/gcc/i486-linux-gnu/4.1.2/../../../../include/c++/4.1.2/istream:175: note: std::basic_istream<_CharT, _Traits>& std::basic_istream<_CharT, _Traits>::operator>>(short unsigned int&) [with _CharT = char, _Traits = std::char_traits<char>]
/usr/lib/gcc/i486-linux-gnu/4.1.2/../../../../include/c++/4.1.2/istream:178: note: std::basic_istream<_CharT, _Traits>& std::basic_istream<_CharT, _Traits>::operator>>(int&) [with _CharT = char, _Traits = std::char_traits<char>]
/usr/lib/gcc/i486-linux-gnu/4.1.2/../../../../include/c++/4.1.2/istream:181: note: std::basic_istream<_CharT, _Traits>& std::basic_istream<_CharT, _Traits>::operator>>(unsigned int&) [with _CharT = char, _Traits = std::char_traits<char>]
/usr/lib/gcc/i486-linux-gnu/4.1.2/../../../../include/c++/4.1.2/istream:184: note: std::basic_istream<_CharT, _Traits>& std::basic_istream<_CharT, _Traits>::operator>>(long int&) [with _CharT = char, _Traits = std::char_traits<char>]
/usr/lib/gcc/i486-linux-gnu/4.1.2/../../../../include/c++/4.1.2/istream:187: note: std::basic_istream<_CharT, _Traits>& std::basic_istream<_CharT, _Traits>::operator>>(long unsigned int&) [with _CharT = char, _Traits = std::char_traits<char>]
/usr/lib/gcc/i486-linux-gnu/4.1.2/../../../../include/c++/4.1.2/istream:191: note: std::basic_istream<_CharT, _Traits>& std::basic_istream<_CharT, _Traits>::operator>>(long long int&) [with _CharT = char, _Traits = std::char_traits<char>]
/usr/lib/gcc/i486-linux-gnu/4.1.2/../../../../include/c++/4.1.2/istream:194: note: std::basic_istream<_CharT, _Traits>& std::basic_istream<_CharT, _Traits>::operator>>(long long unsigned int&) [with _CharT = char, _Traits = std::char_traits<char>]
/usr/lib/gcc/i486-linux-gnu/4.1.2/../../../../include/c++/4.1.2/istream:198: note: std::basic_istream<_CharT, _Traits>& std::basic_istream<_CharT, _Traits>::operator>>(float&) [with _CharT = char, _Traits = std::char_traits<char>]
shipserver.cpp:101: error: no match for ‚œoperator>>‚„ in ‚œstd::cin >> ""‚„
shipserver.cpp:109: error: no match for ‚œoperator>>‚„ in ‚œstd::cin >> ""‚„
shipserver.cpp:117: error: no match for ‚œoperator>>‚„ in ‚œstd::cin >> ""‚„
shipserver.cpp:125: error: no match for ‚œoperator>>‚„ in ‚œstd::cin >> ""‚„
shipserver.cpp:133: error: no match for ‚œoperator>>‚„ in ‚œstd::cin >> ""‚„

What's wrong? I'm still new, which is bound to be against me, but from everything I've learned it all checks out clear to my eyes. Hopefully it's not something stupid like a misspelled "cout" or something...

Edited by Glunn11, 08 July 2007 - 11:33 PM.

#9 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2007 - 08:00 AM

You missed a closing brace. I'll leave it to you to figure out where. You also should not declare multiple if statements when you really mean to use ELSE-IF statementss. f I might make a suggestion; instead of using hard coded variables to represent the players, you are better off using arrays to store the information. The code would look something like this (in psuedococde):
set array index to one
create pin array
create name array

loop
   "player" + index + "enter your name";
	store name at name[index]
	generate random number
	store number at name[index]
   player[index] + "your pin is "  + pin[index]
   increase index by 1
   continue for next player
end loop

Of course, that needs to be translated to actual code yet, but it has some benefits. A couple of rules of coding.
1) Short code is almost always correct. You are less likely to make errors when typing it,. and will find any errors more quickly.
2) Never rewrite identical code. IF you find yourself repeating code over and over. Instead, create a function or loop to reuse code. If you wouldn't have used the randomize function, your code would be about 27 lines longer. as it is, you could potentially make it about 36 lines shorter.
3) Always program for the general condition. In your case, you are programming for somewhere between 4 and 14 players. What happens if 15 want to play, or only 2? Your program wouldn't work. Using my method, I could have any number of players play, and I wouldn't have to change my code at all. In the real world, your market would be limited to those groups with 4-14 members. I could market mine to any size group.

That should give you a few things to think about. :thumbsup:

#10 Glunn11

Glunn11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 262 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2007 - 10:15 AM

Alright, thanks! I probably should have mentioned I haven't made it to arrays yet. This is my "big" project for learning C++ that I add on to for each tutorial I do. I must have some odd disease but I get my jollies off of programming, especially when C++ looked like the scariest thing in the world to me a while ago. So, I'll just work my way up through the lessons and see what I learn. I've always wondered if there was a shortcut to repitition...

#11 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2007 - 10:34 AM

Yes there is.. it is called a function. That piece of code you used from Cprogramming.com is a function. You send it some parameters (int a & int B) and it does something with it. You can use a function to merely do something each time without sending it any parameters. Incidentally, their code could have been accomplished in a much more simple fashion:
int randomize (int a, int b)
{
	return rand() % (b - a + 1) + a;
}

As it is, that function assigns a random number to pinnumber, and then it doesn't do anything with it. Then the next time the function is called, a new pinnumber is created, and nothing is done with it. That might have been another part of your problem. You have a function without a return which is perfectly fine, but ion the declaration of the function, you say it is going to return an int.
int randomize (int a, int B)

Have fun. :)

#12 Glunn11

Glunn11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 262 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2007 - 04:29 PM

YAAAY! :D I feel so special it's going SO WELL! Thank you so much!
I have a rather strong question to ask, however. For the Quarry Matchmaker, I'm going to need to generate a sequence of random integers from 0 to the number of players playing.
How do I do this?
Again, thank you very much!

#13 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2007 - 04:54 PM

In psuedocode again:
players = number of players
for loop
   generate a random number and store it

or:
players = number of players
counter = 0
while counter is less than number of players
	generate a random number and store it
		add 1 to counter

4 to 8 lines of code should handle it. If you have problems, show me your code and I will help you figure out what is wrong.

#14 Glunn11

Glunn11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 262 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2007 - 06:59 PM

Well, I HIBERNATED Linux with the flash drive still in, and it doesn't like Ubuntu much anymore (smart, eh?) :thumbsup:.
The pseudocode you have provided is what I had in mind initially, but I need X amount of UNIQUE numbers (no repeats). For instance, if I had 10 players, I would want to shuffle the numbers 0 through 9 and use the numbers to identify one of the player names, which would then be assigned to one other player to kill.

In my mind, its semi-pseudocode looks something like this (thinking out loud is always great :D. Parts I KNOW what should go are implemented, parts I have no clue are left in pseudocode):

string quarrynames [], playernames [];
int quarrynumber;
string entry;
for (players != 0;  quarrysgenerated < players; ++quarrysgenerated)
{
	Generate random number (called quarrynumber);
	Disable number from being generated again;
	quarrynames[quarrysgenerated] = playernames[quarrynumber];
	cout << playernames[quarrysgenerated] << ", your quarry to kill is: " << quarrynames[quarrysgenerated] << ". Type X and hit RETURN for next player.";
	cin >> entry;
}

Where quarrynames[0] is the quarry for Player 0.

Edited by Glunn11, 09 July 2007 - 07:04 PM.

#15 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2007 - 07:28 PM

That's a bit tougher. You can't preclude a random number from being generated, but you can check if a number has been generated and if it has, generate another number. Eventually, all of your numbers should get picked. You also have to check to make sure that the person has not rolled their own number.

The thing to do is to try and write a small practice program to test out different ways. You know how to generate unique numbers, you know how to put them into arrays, you just need to figure out how to step through the array to check the numbers. ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users