Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cataloging The Contents Of Cds & Dvds

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 nosh

nosh

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:38 AM

Posted 07 July 2007 - 09:16 AM

I am looking for a software program – preferably Freeware – which can scan CDs and DVDs, and provide
a list of FOLDERS along with names of FILES in each FOLDER.

If the software provides such a list, as Rich Text, WORD or EXCEL file, the list can be copied into a Master Catalog covering all CDs and DVDs.

I am trying out freewares mentioned in the replies to “Software To Track External Drive Contents?” under “ Software & Hardware > All other Applications”, but have not been able to use these to prepare a Master Catalog covering all my CDs & DVDs.

My thanks, in advance, for any suggestions that I may receive.

Noshir

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:08 PM

Posted 07 July 2007 - 10:03 AM

One solution might be PrintFolders, which will allow you print folders, subfolders, and the filenames with either as a text file, which you could then merge into a spreadsheet or database application, although you may have to do some formatting. I use an earlier version, but I think the latest version can be found at PCWorld:

http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file/fid,...escription.html

Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:08 PM

Posted 07 July 2007 - 12:29 PM

Have to agree with jgweed, about PrintFolders being a good program.
The only problem with it, is the new download of it, is Nagware.
It keeps bugging you to buy the paid version.
I use a copy of the older version, before it became Nagware.

If you don't mind Nagware (some people don't), then it should do what you need.
If you prefer to try something else, heres a list of Freeware Disk Cataloging programs, you can check out.

Edited by tg1911, 07 July 2007 - 12:31 PM.

MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 mommabear

mommabear

• Members
  • 492 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:08 PM

Posted 07 July 2007 - 02:34 PM

Sometimes Max gets a little flakey. He hasn't been updated in years, but I keep going back to him.

MaxLister
MaxLister is a free application which allows you to create virtual images of harddrives, floppy disks, CD-ROMs or other removable media. This is useful if you want to keep track of that vast CD collection, a problem that a lot of people come across these days. With MaxLister, you can save any drive or folder to a .MXL-file - a database file - and later browse and search it in a Windows Explorer interface. You can import new folders/filenames from another MXL-file if you want to keep different drives in a common file. You can also batch search through a multiple number of MXL-files so that you don't have to load every single file and then repetedly search through them; looking for that particular filename. The MXL file also contains filesizes, and a comment so that you can personalize your information about the drive. If you don't want to create a viewable database, you can choose to store your drive information in a plain text file - easy to view and share with people who don't already have MaxLister. The plain text formats are separated in 3 different layouts: Collapsed, Folders only and Folders and Filenames.

http://www.acc.umu.se/~max/maxlister/index.html

No install. Just unzip it where you want to keep your stuff. I have it in a Tools folder in My Documents.

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:08 PM

Posted 07 July 2007 - 03:02 PM

http://www.karenware.com/ Look for her directory printer.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users