Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Disk Drive Volume Missing

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Lordoftheweb

Lordoftheweb

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:03 AM

Posted 07 July 2007 - 07:58 AM

So heres my issue and I am hoping one of you fine people will know the answer.

I have an external WD 250 gb hard drive. I had two separate partitions on it before which i wanted to merge. So I deleted the partitions, but now the drive volume doesnt show up at all.

For example, when i use Belarc advisor, the disk drive shows i have a 250 gb disk, but the volume doesnt show up as space. And there is no icon under my computer. I dont know how to get it back. All I want to do, is have my computer recognize the disk drive so i can use it to put data on again. Its empty right now, so im not worried about losing data.

i did use the demo version of paragon 8.5 from vunet to get the partititions back, but unfortunately the demo version doesnt allow for that. if i could recover them, i would just merge them together.

anyone have any suggestions? im totally at a loss and have a useless disk drive right now.

thanks!
Desktop:HP Intel Core 2 Quad Q6700, 2.66 GHZ, 4 GB Ram, 1000 GB HD, 2-250 GB external WD HD, 1-500 GB external WD HD, 1-1 TB Trekstor external HD, NVIDIA GeForce 8800GT Graphics Card, HP 24" Widescreen LCD Monitor, Viewsonic 19" Monitor, Linksys WRT 350N 2.4 GHZ Wireless router, Logitech Webcam, Logitech Surround Sound Speakers 5.1, Brother MFC210C Printer/Scanner/Fax/Copier, Logitech Cordless Optical Mouse and HP Cordless Keyboard, Windows Vista 64x Home Premium.
Laptop: Toshiba Intel Centrino Core 2 Duo T7200, 2000 MHZ, 2 GB Ram, 200 GB HD, NVIDIA GEFORCE GO 7600 256 DDR Graphics Card, 17" Monitor, Optical Drives Super Multi Double Layer DVD +/-, HP Photosmart C3180 Printer/Scanner/Copier, Logitech Cordless Optical Mouse, Windows Vista Home Premium.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2007 - 09:05 AM

Can you see it in Disk Management? Found this fix for the similar problem. Not sure it applies to yours
Mark

" How to fix disks with Foreign status, see Troubleshooting.

The Foreign status occurs when you move a dynamic disk to a local computer running Windows XP Home Edition from another computer running Windows 2000, or Windows XP Professional. The Foreign status can also occur on computers running Windows XP Home Edition that are configured to dual-boot with another operating system that uses dynamic disks (such as Windows 2000 Professional). Dynamic disks are not supported on Windows XP Home Edition or on portable computers. A warning icon appears on disks that display the Foreign status.

You cannot access data on the disk, but you can convert the disk to a basic disk so that you can use it with Windows XP Home Edition.

Warning

Converting a dynamic disk to a basic disk destroys all data on the disk. Do not convert a dynamic disk to a basic disk unless you are certain that you no longer need the data on that disk.
To convert the disk to an empty basic disk, right-click the disk, and then click Convert to Basic Disk.

The old machine was running XP pro, I was cheap and just went for home edition on the laptop. Who knew you couldn't swap drives between them? That seems pretty dumb.

So all I have to do is plug the drive back into the desktop, copy the data off it, reformat the drive (or change it to basic rather than dynamic!!??!) with disk management while connected to the laptop and copy the data back. Thank you microsoft!

Better yet, I can use dskprobe to change from dynamic to basic disc.

http://thelazyadmin.net/index.php?/a...sic-Disks.html

[url="http://faq.arstechnica.com/link.php?i=1806""]http://faq.arstechnica.com/link.php?i=1806"[/url]
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 Lordoftheweb

Lordoftheweb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2007 - 10:12 AM

thanks for the response.

no it doesnt show up as a volume in disk management, but it does show as an "unallocated" disk. hmmmm.

nothing has changed on my computers other than me deleting the partitions, so im not sure what to do.
Desktop:HP Intel Core 2 Quad Q6700, 2.66 GHZ, 4 GB Ram, 1000 GB HD, 2-250 GB external WD HD, 1-500 GB external WD HD, 1-1 TB Trekstor external HD, NVIDIA GeForce 8800GT Graphics Card, HP 24" Widescreen LCD Monitor, Viewsonic 19" Monitor, Linksys WRT 350N 2.4 GHZ Wireless router, Logitech Webcam, Logitech Surround Sound Speakers 5.1, Brother MFC210C Printer/Scanner/Fax/Copier, Logitech Cordless Optical Mouse and HP Cordless Keyboard, Windows Vista 64x Home Premium.
Laptop: Toshiba Intel Centrino Core 2 Duo T7200, 2000 MHZ, 2 GB Ram, 200 GB HD, NVIDIA GEFORCE GO 7600 256 DDR Graphics Card, 17" Monitor, Optical Drives Super Multi Double Layer DVD +/-, HP Photosmart C3180 Printer/Scanner/Copier, Logitech Cordless Optical Mouse, Windows Vista Home Premium.

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2007 - 11:14 AM

Have you tried to remove it in "add/remove hardware" in the Control Panel and start over?
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#5 Lordoftheweb

Lordoftheweb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2007 - 12:24 PM

hey thanks for your help. i figured it out. i guess when i deleted the partitions, i needed to reformat. didnt realize that. did a reformat and all is good again. :thumbsup:

thanks!

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,074 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:03 AM

Posted 07 July 2007 - 02:57 PM

Just FYI, I found out the other day that right clicking on the unallocated space (in disk management) won't allow you to setup a drive - you have to right click in the box on the left that shows the info about the drive - then it'll let you initialize it.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users