Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Get A Load Error Upon Powering Up Or Rebooting

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 The host

The host

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Location:On again Off again. Here for 5 months gone again for 7 months, it is the price I must pay, doing my part of the bargain.
  • Local time:02:04 PM

Posted 07 July 2007 - 03:51 AM

Hi, new here. Got a Toshiba satellite A75-S1253 laptop with the:
Intel Pentium 4 Processor 538 supporting HT Technology (3.20 GHz) with WIN XP HOME.

I recently updated my MP3 rocket music program to the new and improved after being away from an internet connection for about a month, and also Windows automatically updated and installed, then I rebooted, And now get a Load Error! "Press a key to reboot..." but the only way to reboot is cntrl alt del.
Before I get this error I get the Toshiba title screen then I have the choice of going F2 into the Bios which is currently Version V1.50, Or F12 and selecting where I want to boot from 1. hard disk, 2. cd/dvd drive, 3. removable devices, 4. network boot. I downloaded and made a disk for the SpotMau power suite, which was supposed to be a fixall, but I am still in dialog with their techs, because I cannot access the menu for their program after it loads, and end up rebooting. Then I found my Toshiba recovery and applications/ drivers dvd, and did two fresh installs which the program slowly completes and upon reboot, still have a Load Fail. Once with the SpotMau disk, I was able to get to MsDos, but couldn't access the main drive. I thought maybe a virus was downloaded through the MP3 rocket service, and tried to burn the AVG free virus protection to cd through my desktop and load it through my CD player on the laptop to ulitmately scan my computer, but dont know how to do that. Also thought about scanning the computer by hooking it up straight up to the Desktop by ethernet, but do I have to install network software on the laptop in order to do this? Any Ideas. Thanks.

Edited by The host, 07 July 2007 - 03:59 AM.

When it doubt, whip it out. Ash to Ash, Dust to Dust, If you never use it'll rust.[color="#8B0000"] famous from some movie maybe the highlander?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:04 PM

Posted 07 July 2007 - 06:53 AM

If you've restored using the Toshiba CD/DVD and it still doesn't work, then it's likely that there's a hardware issue with your system. A problem with the hard drive is less likely than other hardware issues because you're able to install Windows from the CD without issues (although it's slow)

Try running MemTest86 to test your RAM (bootable CD also) - free from here: http://www.memtest86.com/

Try running a diagnostic utility on your hard drive from a bootable CD - these are usually available for free from the manufacturer of your hard drive. The SpotMau program has utilities for this, but I prefer those from the hard drive manufacturer as they are designed for your hard drive in particular. As I stated earlier, this isn't likely to find an issue - but it's still a possibility that shouldn't be ignored.

After that, it'll be necessary to test the motherboard - and I can't recommend any free software for that that works outside of Windows. The cheapest that I've found this type of software is $400 - and I can't see paying that for just one PC. You may be able to get this test run at a PC repair shop for a small fee. If it's less than a year old, you may be able to contact Toshiba for a repair under warranty.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 The host

The host
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Location:On again Off again. Here for 5 months gone again for 7 months, it is the price I must pay, doing my part of the bargain.

Posted 07 July 2007 - 08:38 PM

I downloaded and burned a cd, it works in the laptop. How long should I let it run its tests? Right now it is at pass 28% and test 5%, at the bottom of the screen it reads "pass complete, no errors, press Esc to exit. All the way to Pass 100%? Thanks for your time.
When it doubt, whip it out. Ash to Ash, Dust to Dust, If you never use it'll rust.[color="#8B0000"] famous from some movie maybe the highlander?

#4 Nikas

Nikas

• Members
  • 650 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:04 AM

Posted 08 July 2007 - 12:48 AM

Which test are you referring to?

For memtest86++, it should be around over 6-8 test and for HDD Diagnostic tool, wait for it to be fully done.

#5 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2007 - 06:18 AM

The "Pass complete" message refers to the fact that MemTest86 has completed at least one full pass with all 9 tests and found no errors. With the pass being at 28% and the test being at 5% it appears that the 3rd test has just started and is about 5% done. MemTest86 is a great program and I recommend that you run a minimum of 3 passes - but that running it overnight is the best way to fully check the RAM for errors.

After that we can get into a discussion of how many errors are acceptable - but my opinion is that, when I'm balancing my checkbook, NO errors are acceptable (but others will disagree with me).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 The host

The host
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2007 - 05:48 PM

Ok, here we go, I let the diagnostic run for a total walltime of 92:16 hours, cached 1151M, RsvdMem 1256k, MemMap e820-std, Cache-on, ECC-off, Pass-34, errors-0. Here are the parameters.

Memtest-86 v3.3
Pentium D (0.09) 3200 mhz
L1 Cache: 16k 22379MB/s
L2 Cache: 1024k 19633 MB/s
Memory: 1151m 735MB/s
Chipset: ATi Radeon 9100 IGP / FSB : 133 MHZ
Pass 44%
Test 28%
Test #8 [Modulo 20, Random Pattern]
Testing: 112k-1151M 1151M
Pattern: 8ce291ce-13

I went into configuration to error summary and all 10 tests had 0 errors.

Where to now? Thanks

Edited by The host, 12 July 2007 - 05:50 PM.

#7 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2007 - 05:43 AM

Try running a diagnostic utility on your hard drive from a bootable CD - these are usually available for free from the manufacturer of your hard drive. The SpotMau program has utilities for this, but I prefer those from the hard drive manufacturer as they are designed for your hard drive in particular. As I stated earlier, this isn't likely to find an issue - but it's still a possibility that shouldn't be ignored.

After that, it'll be necessary to test the motherboard - and I can't recommend any free software for that that works outside of Windows. The cheapest that I've found this type of software is $400 - and I can't see paying that for just one PC. You may be able to get this test run at a PC repair shop for a small fee. If it's less than a year old, you may be able to contact Toshiba for a repair under warranty.

#8 The host

The host
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2007 - 03:55 PM

Thanks for you help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users