Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Which Would You Suggest

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Roadblock

Roadblock

• Members
  • 148 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:34 PM

Posted 07 July 2007 - 12:58 AM

Hey im currently using a program known as Window Washer which removes what you wish, but i heard CCleaner is an awsome one as well.... Which one would you guys suggest to use for deleting cookies,browsing history,temp internet files... etc.. Thanks :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:34 PM

Posted 07 July 2007 - 06:17 AM

I use CCleaner. You can set it up to clean up that stuff automatically daily.

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2007 - 10:33 AM

I generally do maintenance manually or use Windows clean up. I have my Ff settings so that cookies must be accepted, and history is automatically deleted when it is closed.
CCleaner, and other such applications must be used with caution, since these are very powerful programmes, especially when they muck around with the registry. So be very careful to read and understand the various functions within CCleaner, and do not let it delete registry entries unless you have a good understanding of what it is deleting and make a registry back up first.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 Roadblock

Roadblock
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 148 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:34 PM

Posted 07 July 2007 - 12:33 PM

Should i allow CCleaner to clean chkdsk frag files... Or could someone tell me a list of the proper ones to click for a safe clean. Thx

#5 rlprlp

rlprlp

• Members
  • 198 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:34 PM

Posted 09 July 2007 - 09:08 PM

I've never had a problem with CCleaner, but I follow one rule. CCleaner's makers seem to have done a pretty good job of putting anything that one shouldn't mess with (unless they REALLY know what they are doing) under "Advanced". So, I simply never delete anything in that category. As long as it's not in the "Advanced" category, I believe that the worst you can do is lose some history, logs, or cookies that save log on information for you on something that you may have wished that you kept.

Please note that I am only referring to the "Cleaner" category; not the "Issues" category. Good luck!

Edited by rlprlp, 09 July 2007 - 09:09 PM.

#6 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2007 - 06:04 AM

That's what I do. CCleaner is really good at cleaning up temp files, cookies etc. I don't even have to think about it and the less I have to think about it the better I like it. I don't bother with the other stuff that comes with it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users