Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Slow Slow Slow Browser, Applications Failing

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 nmullinax

nmullinax

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:40 PM

Posted 06 July 2007 - 10:16 PM

My computer is locking up as I type this and I dont know how to fix it. I've tried downloading the suggested Spyware and Scans but Ive had no success. Im not a computer whiz obviously, so I need some suggestions on how and where to fix this problem. I do believe that I have some sort of virus but I have no idea how to remove them. I'd appreciate any help I can get ! Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mommabear

mommabear

• Members
  • 492 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:40 PM

Posted 07 July 2007 - 02:49 PM

How long has it been since Windows was installed? Have you done any regular file maintenance, like deleting old files you don't need anymore, deleting temp files, uninstalling programs you don't use anymore, deleting months-old system restore points, etc, and then running scandisk, and lastly, running defrag? Maybe it's not a virus. You may just be running out of room on your hdd.

Edited by mommabear, 07 July 2007 - 02:50 PM.

#3 nmullinax

nmullinax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:40 PM

Posted 08 July 2007 - 09:29 PM

I have deleted old files and I've tried to Defrag a few times but it even locks up when I do that! I will try all of your suggestions again and if you think of anything else I can do please let me know. To be quite honest, Im not sure what programs I can delete and what I shouldn't so, any suggestions are really appreciated. Thank you for your help

#4 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:40 PM

Posted 09 July 2007 - 12:18 AM

Hi mmullinmax

I am not familiar with ME, but generally you need 15% of your hard drive free in order for defragging to take place. How much free space do you have?

This programme may work for you: http://w3.win.tue.nl/nl/onderzoek/onderzoe...n/sequoiaview// . It will show you every programme on your hard drive, and the path to it, so you can decide which to delete. Stay well away from SYSTEM FILES.

Come back and tell us how you are getting on.

Good luck.

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users