Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Heres A Small Question...

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 JoshT

JoshT

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:44 AM

Posted 06 July 2007 - 09:56 PM

I have this Old Compaq Presario 5012us, and its specs are bad, oh so very, very bad.
  • Pentium 3
  • 128MB (127MB Recognized) Ram
  • 40-80GB HDD
  • DVD-Rom Drive
  • Floppy Drive
  • Onboard Video Card
  • WINDOWS ME (blood-curdling scream)
Okay, here's what I thought of doing, I want to take my secondary drive, from the "Tricked-out" computer, that I have, which I have Ubuntu installed on, and move it over to this crappy internet computer, I'm wondering will the the HDD ubuntu has on it, recognize the new Hardware without any problems, or should I make a clean install?

Oh, I'm also wondering is Ubuntu good with Printers, scanners, USB CD-RWs and USB pen drives?

Thanks!

-JoshT

Edited by JoshT, 06 July 2007 - 09:57 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:44 AM

Posted 06 July 2007 - 10:14 PM

The first part I can answer. You are going to want a clean install. When you install, the kernel is built to support your hardware (at least it is with Gentoo and slackware). I'm assuming that the kernel is built invisibly in other distros. I can't answer your second question, although it seems like I see a lot of questions about usb troubleshooting.

#3 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:44 AM

Posted 06 July 2007 - 11:25 PM

To answer the second part(s):

1) USB Printers- Hit and miss all depends on the brand. Most HP's work well.
2)Scanners- Same as printers
3)USB Drives (all types)- Works well.

If your Printer and scanner are not automatically covered there is http://www.linux-foundation.org/en/OpenPrinting which hosts "Foomatic and a bunch of other drivers for printers and scanners.

Edited by BlackSpyder, 06 July 2007 - 11:26 PM.

Posted Image

#4 JoshT

JoshT
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2007 - 01:23 PM

Okay cool, yes I have an HP printer, and a Canon scanner.

Another question, will Ubuntu run faster than Windows Me?

and, about networking, currently the computer is hooked up to a Linsys WRT54G Wireless Router, via ethernet, and is sharing files with my computer upstairs, will ubuntu be able to share files? (upstairs computer has Win XP)

Thanks again! -JoshT

#5 bbboogie2

bbboogie2

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2007 - 01:25 PM

ubuntu has live cd's so you can try different live cd's (with different kernels) to see which one recognizes your hardware best. You can even do a goodle search for different live cd's to download to recognize hardware. Sometimes its not how big the distro is because I have a small linux distro called puppy (80mb) which recognizes all of my hardware on a toshiba laptop including the wifi card. It is so fast in loading off of the cd and loads completely into memory and allows use of the cd after loading also I use a usb drive to save all my firefox settings to browse the net.

#6 tacm

tacm

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2007 - 03:37 PM

and, about networking, currently the computer is hooked up to a Linsys WRT54G Wireless Router, via ethernet, and is sharing files with my computer upstairs, will ubuntu be able to share files? (upstairs computer has Win XP)

Thanks again! -JoshT

Yes.......and yes
The day that Microsoft makes a product that doesn't suck, Is the day they start making vacuum cleaners.

#7 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:44 AM

Posted 09 July 2007 - 03:52 PM

Okay cool, yes I have an HP printer, and a Canon scanner.

Thanks again! -JoshT

Anything runs faster that windows ME. I believe you must set up samba for local shares.
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#8 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:44 AM

Posted 09 July 2007 - 04:12 PM

Your going to want to use the alternate install CD with your current memory (128MB) or I would make the suggestion of using Xubuntu (Xfce instead of Gnome) which will run faster then Gnome will in most cases. The only issue I have is that many apps are for KDE and Gnome and require their library files thus making Xfce a little slower then normal but faster then Gnome or KDE and way faster then M.E.

Wireless is a sticking point with Linux in general. as long as you are connected via an ethernet cable you should have little issue with networking.

Posted Image

#9 JoshT

JoshT
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2007 - 11:25 AM

Alright, I need some help with Samba, and Connecting Ubuntu to my Windows XP Machine...

Right now, I can ping the Ubuntu box, from my XP Machine, and it works. but I cant do anything else.

Edited by JoshT, 11 July 2007 - 05:56 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users