Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Crazy Cpu Usage Fluctuation

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 DROT

DROT

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:57 PM

Posted 06 July 2007 - 09:52 PM

Lately (as in all of a sudden two days ago) my sound started sputtering when loading an App (like Mozilla, CS:Source, AIM, etc). In sputtering I mean choppy sound AND going in super slow motion. I'm on vent a lot and thats how I noticed when the voices slowed down. Then I realized even my cursor was going in slow motion. This would be in a matter of seconds and not continue of course. So I restarted my computer and saw that the "Windows Loading" screen lasted an extremely long time. Then when the opening sound came on it started doing the sputtering as well as my whole computer. Today I decided to look at my Task Manager and monitor the CPU Usage. I realized when doing absolutely nothing it would jump from 1-2% to 29-58% for no reason. And when I opened up anything (whether it being a program or a movie or divx player) the usage would spike to upwards of 99% then slowly creep down to 20% and back to the crazy fluctuations. This is usually where the sputtering and slow downs would happen. I can't figure out how this all of a sudden happened!

Also I have not seen too much of a fall out from the programs performance wise. CS:source may be running a little slower but this sputtering gets very aggrivating when having sound or movies even if it only lasts 2 or 3 seconds at a time.

Could it be processor dying? Memory Dying? I would much rather not reformat since I don't have my Microsoft Office Pro CD anymore!

My Specs (self built):
P4 3.0Ghz Processor
Asus P4S800D-X Motherboard
Corsair Value Select Ram (1GB)
WD 5400RPM 160GB Hard Drive
Windows XP Professional
Nvidia 7800GS Video Card

I really appreciate whomever reads and helps me on this!

Edited by DROT, 06 July 2007 - 10:10 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2007 - 06:33 AM

We'll have to ask you to do a bit more troubleshooting to determine what's causing this.

First, open up the Processes tab of Task Manager, select the View menu, then Select Columns. Place a checkmark next to IO Reads and click OK to exit that dialog. Then drag the right side of the Task Manager windows so that you can see the new column.

Next, check for high amounts of usage in the CPU, Memory, and IO Read columns. Let us know what seems to be out of line and we can work from there.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 DROT

DROT
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2007 - 11:03 AM

The highest I/O Reads is csrss.exe with Mem usage of 3700 and an I/0 read of 140,000. Also one of the 5 svc hosts has 28k mem usage and 9300 I/O Read. Other than that there is Firefox running a little high memory wise (Mem 37k and I/O 3360) and explorer.exe with 22k mem and 3k I/O Read.

I'm not sure if I got new memory it would completely solve it since this was an all of a sudden type thing. But I'm guessing it would be advisable to look into get 2gigs of a little better quality than my 1gig of crap quality after this is fixed.

#4 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2007 - 02:33 PM

Try using the free program Process Explorer ( http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysintern...ssExplorer.mspx ) to see what's running underneath that svchost.exe process. 140,000 is pretty high for disk reads - especially from csrss.exe (my Vista system does this with Halo2 for some unknown reason).

Otherwise you're looking for problems with csrss.exe - could be a malfunctioning program (like Halo2) or it could be malware. Have you scanned your system for viruses recently?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 DROT

DROT
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2007 - 07:25 PM

I used Search and Destroy to scan for viruses and got nothing. Otherwise I don't have any virus software. I defragged also and it did nothing. I also used disk cleanup. I used the process explorer and I'm not quite sure what I should be looking for. There is crss.exe is at 42k i/o now while something called lsass.exe os at 15k i/o. hh.exe is not coming up on process explorer but taking up a lot of memory (22k).

I figure it must be something all the way through to the startup cause it sputters through the Welcome Windows screen when I log in.

I was thinking reformat but is there any way to keep my Microsoft Office even if I don't have the disc anymore? I do not want to pay 200-300 bucks for a new one!

Edit: Crss went back up to 580k I/O read. Not sure why but it seems like after I have used the computer it shoots up. Either way I get the sputtering if its low or high so not sure how much of an issue it really is.

Edited by DROT, 09 July 2007 - 03:14 AM.

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2007 - 05:48 AM

In my recent experience, the csrss.exe issue is either with a malfunctioning program or a virus. When it goes up to 580k it will really slow your system down.

I'd suggest trying these 2 free, online scans to rule out a virus - after that we can move on with some more troubleshooting.

http://safety.live.com (requires IE)
http://housecall.trendmicro.com

#7 bicycle bill

bicycle bill

• Banned
  • 339 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2007 - 06:51 PM

Thought i would throw this in.

CRSS.EXE PROBLEM.

THis file is supposed to handle the various threads of data coming in and direct them to the proper place. A quick check will be to click open task manager and go to processes tab in the pop-up menu that appears. There you will see the csrss listing. Next to it will be a listing for memory usage. If this changes a lot,be suspicious.
Also right-click on the csrss.exe and select the end process . If Windows won't remove it,you will know that it's the valid one.
Next examine the startup file folder. Right click start and select exlore. In the list of folders in the column on the left of the Windows Explorer that appears,look for startup and open it. If csrss.exe is there, delete it. That may solve the problem.

#8 DROT

DROT
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2007 - 10:12 PM

I couldn't find the startup in explorer so I couldn't find that part but the fluctuations are there. Especially in I/O Reads. Mem usage was hovering around 3-4k today but I see it go up to 5k sometimes. The I/O would go from 10k to 488k. I don't know if this would cause Windows Loading slow down but thats what I noticed.

The thing is this sputtering begins when initially loading Windows. It takes a loooongg time now. I used the Windows Live Scan (took over 7 hours) and it found only 3 problems and cleaned them up. I did Housecall and it removed a few cookies and found these vulnerabilites:
(MS04-027) Vulnerability in WordPerfect Converter Could Allow Code Execution (884933)
(MS04-028) Buffer Overrun in JPEG Processing (GDI+) Could Allow Code Execution (833987)
(MS05-004) ASP.NET Path Validation Vulnerability (887219)

I tried applying patch and there was an error with the first one and the second one may or may not have installed (it didn't give any heads up at all). I don't know if these would cause the slow downs. But after I did all this I'm still getting this super slow problem.

Something I did notice is when Windows was scanning see I saw some of the stuff it was scanning and it had about 30-40 movies that I've never downloaded but I've never actually seen on my computer anywhere. I don't know where they're coming from since the scan was quick and all I saw was it was it was in C (Hard Drive)

Edited by DROT, 10 July 2007 - 02:55 AM.

#9 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2007 - 06:22 AM

If the Housecall scan came up clean, then I'd suspect that something has damaged your Windows installation. As such the easiest fix would be a repair install of XP: http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

You can search your hard drive for files that are large and it'll tell you where the suspect movies are (use the options in the Search dialog).

#10 DROT

DROT
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2007 - 07:41 PM

I repaired XP and its working much better now! Must of been the Microsoft Installation problem! Running much faster Thanks for the help!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users