Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Outerinfo And Nothing Makes Sense!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 izzyjoel

izzyjoel

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:37 AM

Posted 06 July 2007 - 09:23 PM

OK. I'm new to this and most of what I've read makes little or no sense to me. Computers are not my strong suit, but I'm trying to learn. Have outerinfo virus with annoying popups. I've tried to follow the instructions for removing malware and but can't get past the running the antivirus scan. Half the time when I try to click on a link, I get the "Not Responding" message, the browser closes and the computer asks if I want to send an error report to microsoft (what the heck does that mean anyway? Does it even DO anything?) I've tried reading other people's question and answers and I get lost about four lines in. I've got Ad-Aware and Spybot Search and Destroy. Spybot keeps running and it has five things that it can't get rid of every time. I have no idea what that means. help me...please. I'm losing my mind and my computer is close to losing its life cause i'm going to kill it. thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:37 AM

Posted 06 July 2007 - 09:50 PM

Have you done any scans with Spybot in Safe Mode yet?

Here is how to start windows in Safe Mode.

Once you have restarted , re run your spybot scan and let us know if it removes the problems.
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#3 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,498 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:37 AM

Posted 07 July 2007 - 07:42 AM

Here is a link to a tutorial on another site for removing Outerinfo. As you will see in the warning at the top of the page:
"Outerinfo is now being installed with other nasty malware that this procedure may not fix, so after following it I strongly suggest you post your HiJackThis log as well as the other logs on the forum and we'll clean up the rest of it."
http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/How-to-remo...IN-t134763.html

Directions for posting a Hijack This log are in the link below. Post the log in the Hijack This Forum.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/34773/preparation-guide-for-use-before-using-malware-removal-tools-and-requesting-help/
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#4 izzyjoel

izzyjoel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:37 AM

Posted 07 July 2007 - 10:27 AM

Thanks for your suggestions. I tried to click your link to start windows in safe mode to run spybot, and the link gave me the Not Responding message again and kicked me off the browser to send the joyous error report. Then I tried the link to geeks to go. I've already removed the programs (the first step in the instructions--i found this website a few days ago) but i checked again and couldn't find any. I tried to download the uninstaller (I think i've done this already too) (that link kicked me off also, so I pasted it into the window to run it), and it told me my current security setting wouldn't allow this file to be downloaded. That's another reason i think i may have already run that. Does that make sense? And why do I keep getting "Not Responding" and kicked off when I try to click on links? It's not all of them, just half or so. AAAAAAUUGH!!

#5 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,498 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:37 AM

Posted 07 July 2007 - 11:23 AM

Assuming you have XP, here is the info that is in that link for directions to access safe mode.
Windows XP

Using the F8 Method

Restart your computer.
When the machine first starts again it will generally list some equipment that is installed in your machine, amount of memory, hard drives installed etc. At this point you should gently tap the F8 key repeatedly until you are presented with a Windows XP Advanced Options menu.
Select the option for Safe Mode using the arrow keys.
Then press enter on your keyboard to boot into Safe Mode.
Do whatever tasks you require and when you are done reboot to boot back into normal mode.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If that doesn't get you into safe mode, try this method.
Using the System Configuration Tool Method
Note: If you are having trouble entering Safe Mode via the F8 method, you should not use this method to force it to startup into safe mode.

Step 1: Close all programs so that you have nothing open and are at the desktop.

Step 2: Click on the Start button then click on Run.

Step 3: In the Run field type msconfig

Step 4: Press the OK button and the System Configuration Utility will start up.

Step 5: Click on the tab labeled "BOOT.INI"

Step 6: Put a checkmark in the checkbox labeled "/SAFEBOOT". Then press the OK button. After pressing the button you will be presented with a confirmation box.

Step 7: Press the Restart button and let the computer reboot. It will now boot up into Safe Mode.

Step 8: When the computer boots up do what diagnostic or troubleshooting tasks that you need to do.

Step 9. When are finished with your tasks, complete steps 1-7 again, but in Step 6 this time uncheck the checkbox labeled "/SAFEBOOT". Then click on the General tab and set it for Normal startup.

Step 10: Reboot the computer back into normal mode.

If Spybot is no help in safe mode, you should try to download Hijack This program and post it in the Hijack This forum.
There was a program mentioned in the tutorial for resetting your Hosts file. If you can do that it may allow you to access other security programs.
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users