Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Memory Recognition Problem

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 dgundling

dgundling

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:33 PM

Posted 06 July 2007 - 08:59 PM

I have a custom computer (local shop) it usues an MSI 6547 V2 motherboard and an AMI BIOS version 07.00T. The motherboard ID is 620113-009999-00101111-040201-Sis645-1AAWV001. I have 3 512MB memory boards installed. All three were purchased with reference to the motherboard manual (DDR2700) What might I do to get the computer to recognize all of the installed memory? PCWizard 2007 version 1.73 reports ROW-0 (RAS6, RAS-11) 512 (Double Bank) Row-1 and Row-2 are shown as empty. Next it reports that ROW-0 is populated with Infineon PC2700 memory 512MB. Then it goes on to state that I have a Kingston PC-2700 512MB card in ROW-1 and a PNY Electronics PC3200 512MB compatible with PC2700 in ROW-2. Any one of the 3 512MB boards will workas an individual but no 2 of them (or 3) will have the full memory recognized. I ran this computer on WIN98SE before switching to WINXP Home and had the same problem with both OSs so I don't think it is an OS problem. Any ideas on what I might try next? BTW, PC Wizard 2007 reports physical memory of 1536MB DDR-SDRAM. As was said in the "King and I" movie, "Tis a puzzlement".

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:33 PM

Posted 06 July 2007 - 09:41 PM

How much memory does windows recognize?

the easiest way to find out is click start, r click my computer, click properties, and see what the general tab says that you have.
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,072 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2007 - 06:58 AM

I have had issues in Dell and HP laptops when combining PNY and Infineon memory modules (added the PNY) - switching to Kingston fixed the issues.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 pcguy_jim

pcguy_jim

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:33 PM

Posted 07 July 2007 - 08:05 AM

John,
Speaking of Dell laptops, I have found that after servicing a Dell, that if the memory modules are put back into different slots, the computer will not boot. Just switch the mem sticks and it boots. Weird.

#5 dgundling

dgundling
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2007 - 09:32 AM

Thanks for the replies.

Checked My Computer properties - WinXP says 512MB.

Will try pulling the PNY module and swapping the modules around and report back.

Dave

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,072 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2007 - 02:52 PM

Way, way off-topic - but I've actually had a Dell in the shop (for memory) that used ECC RAM. Dell must've got a deal on it - but we couldn't upgrade it because of that!
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2007 - 02:57 PM

Two things: can you give us the actual model/part number of each memory board.

and try with the kingston in slot 0, and the infineon in slot 1, leaving the pny out.

let us know, please.

#8 dgundling

dgundling
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2007 - 09:31 PM

Will do. We have guests at the moment. I won't be able to get to this until Monday. My plan was to try all possible combinations of one to and 3 memory boards. I also will try only one board in slot 1 and then only one in slot 2. I had tried each memory board by itself before but only in slot 0. The manual does not require that slot 0 be filled when inserting memory.

Dave

#9 usasma

usasma

• 25,072 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2007 - 07:08 AM

If you get a stick that passes the Memory Test, it's fairly easy to rotate it between slots - testing each slot.
If you don't have one that passes, then you'll have to try all the combinations in all the slots (a daunting task)

Also, you may be able to test the sticks in another system (to see if the sticks test good) - then you'll cut down your testing requirements on the PC with the issues. With a known good stick failing on any of the slots - that's a mobo issue and I'd suggest a new/RMA mobo for that.

#10 dgundling

dgundling
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2007 - 10:28 PM

Did some more testing

None of the combinations tested showed more than 512MB installed per control panel -system. All configurations showed the correct installed memory using PC Wizard 2007 and CPU-z.

Row-0 Row-1 Row-2 Total Memory

I K P 512
I K _ 512
I _ K No boot
_ _ I No boot
_ I _ No boot
K I _ No boot
I _ _ 512
P _ _ 512
P I _ 512
P _ I 512

P = PNY 512 module; K = Kingston module; I = Infineon module

From the above it would appear that Row- and Row-2 (slots 2 & 3 are bad. However, if the slots are bad, how can
PC Wizard 2007 and CPU-Z determine what modules are in them and come up with the correct installed memory count?

Sorry but the forum board did not transfer my formatting very well.

Edited by dgundling, 08 July 2007 - 10:32 PM.

#11 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2007 - 12:12 AM

What is the bios count for ram? Also, are the dimms single or double sided?

Just did a search on your model, for a possible bios update, MSI's web site says model doesnot exist.

#12 usasma

usasma

• 25,072 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2007 - 06:22 AM

Looks like something is FUBAR'd there - just to be thorough, I'd test the PNY and the Kingston sticks separately in each slot (to verify that it's the slot and not an incompatibility with the Infineon memory).

The detection programs only identify if stuff is in the slot (lot's less channels than the RAM actually uses) - so it's possible that they can identify the RAM even though it doesn't work.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users