Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Serial port

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 bfr21

bfr21

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:21 PM

Posted 25 January 2005 - 11:51 AM

I need to turn on my serial port and I don't know how to access the controls in the BIOS...

I have a Compaq Presario 5108US desktop. I have disabled the Windows XP "welcome screen" during reboot so that now I see the commands when my computer boots up. I don't know the proper keys to push to allow me to access the BIOS controls.

Can anyone help?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Underwhelmed

Underwhelmed

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2005 - 11:59 AM

Sorry I didn't get back to you on the other post, been crazy around here...

Anyway, press F10 repeatedly when your computer boots up to enter the BIOS. After you reach the BIOS main menu, see if you can find a menu or setting for Serial Port. It is probably under the menu, Integrated Peripherals, or a menu similar to that. There should be an "Enable/Disable" option.

Let me know if this works for you
Tacos. That is all you ever need know.

My Development Blog

#3 bfr21

bfr21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2005 - 03:29 PM

Thanks for the help, but I'm still unable to turn on my serial port!

I entered the BIOS and the closest related menu items I could find are listed below.

Parrallel port mode: this menu had the following options (compatible, bi-directional, EPP, ECP) Could this have anything to do with the serial port? What should this be set on?

PCI Devices: Slot 2 16750 Modem--IRQ 10

Slot 3 Ethernet controller--IRQ 5

What should these be set on? The changeable options allowed me to change the number next to the IRQ...I have no idea what this is about!

Hopefully this will be the key to activating my port! Thanks again!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users