Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Anti-spam Software

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Commander Gman

Commander Gman

• Members
  • 1,214 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:16 PM

Posted 06 July 2007 - 06:43 PM

I keep getting spam in my YM (Yahoo Messenger) another Instant Messaging application from my contacts
It is usually a chain letter about this and that and comes with several statements that if you don't send this message (copy paste it) to all of your contacts within the specified time limit,you're gonna suffer consequences,curses,etc.

Nothing did happened except that in one incident,when i ignored the most unbelievable,irritating message
"If you don't send this message to all of your contacts sooner,your username will be deleted" after several
minutes YM stopped running and then signed out so i was unable to connect and waited for like 3 hours and so I contacted YM support so after they sent me a reply,I was able to sign in again

Is there any way to stop this? Or any Anti-Spam software that can be monitoring IM applications?
(wether free or not free)
Or did i missed something in YM that there was this called "SPAM filter" function in it.

Motherboard: MSI P35 Neo-F (Socket 775 LGA) Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.40 Ghz Kentsfield Chipset: Intel P35 Graphics Card: Nvidia Geforce GT 440 Memory: 2x 2GB DDR2 800 RAM Storage: 1x IDE 80GB, 1x SATA II 500 GB, 1x External 500GB HD Power Supply: 600W Power supply Monitor: Dual screen set-up Casing: Mini-ATX Fan(s): 1x 80mm silent fan OS: Windows XP SP3

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hillbillygreek

hillbillygreek

• Members
  • 397 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:16 AM

Posted 07 July 2007 - 08:46 AM

If you are using the latest version you can click on a link to report as spam from within YM. If you don't see links to report, look under your preferences & add them to the Ignore List. There's also an option to ignore anyone who is not on your list.

How do I report spam ?

Report Spam Version 7

Other Versions

Edited by hillbillygreek, 07 July 2007 - 10:48 AM.

#3 Commander Gman

Commander Gman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,214 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:16 PM

Posted 09 July 2007 - 04:40 AM

Ok thanks for the info :thumbsup:
Are there any good free Anti-Spam Applications you use?

Motherboard: MSI P35 Neo-F (Socket 775 LGA) Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.40 Ghz Kentsfield Chipset: Intel P35 Graphics Card: Nvidia Geforce GT 440 Memory: 2x 2GB DDR2 800 RAM Storage: 1x IDE 80GB, 1x SATA II 500 GB, 1x External 500GB HD Power Supply: 600W Power supply Monitor: Dual screen set-up Casing: Mini-ATX Fan(s): 1x 80mm silent fan OS: Windows XP SP3

#4 hillbillygreek

hillbillygreek

• Members
  • 397 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:16 AM

Posted 09 July 2007 - 11:31 PM

Not for IM. I use the paid version of Mailwasher to preview my email. The free version is limited to one email account. I have not used it yet but, if you are interested, Pop Peeper is one that I have seen recommended several times here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users