Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Update Old Comp

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 windsock

windsock

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:47 AM

Posted 06 July 2007 - 06:24 PM

ive got two comps i want to wipe old comp clean and re install updates for windows me but ive no internet connection on old com
new`ish comp running xp with broardband would it be possible to download updates to a pen drive and install them on m e comp
also is there a folder on me where updates are stored

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:47 AM

Posted 06 July 2007 - 06:50 PM

Microsoft doesn't support ME anymore so I'm not sure where you'd find them. Personally, on something old that can't be upgraded to XP I throw on a Linux distro. It's interesting to learn other OS's
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 mommabear

mommabear

• Members
  • 492 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:47 AM

Posted 07 July 2007 - 03:14 PM

You may be able to get enough of the updates here to keep you reasonably protected.

Contents:
1. Introduction
2. Windows ME Security Patches for 2001
3. Windows ME Security Patches for 2000
http://cws.internet.com/file/11682.htm

Edit: the part below refers to Windiz and not for the security patch links above.

You'd have to install Firefox to get them though. That's not a bad thing, imo. I use FF as my default browser. I still have IE for some sites that won't work in FF and for the updates. But I have used Windiz myself and it's fine. So if you want to keep using IE, just install FF for getting the updates, then you can uninstall it, since there won't be anymore patches for Windows Me to get.

From their forum:

The patches will still be available for detection and download, and we will try to indicate sitations where there is a vunerability with the software and no patch is available. Since the death of 98/Me, Microsoft will no longer be issuing security patches. But if you have a good firewall and antivirus, you won't need them.

Good reasons to use WindizUpdate

* No personally identifiable information is collected from your computer.
* No more unwanted spyware -- Microsoft Internet Explorer can finally be removed from your computer (if that were possible).
* It lists just the updates you need. If an update has been superceded by a newer one, it will not ask you to install the older one.
* Using enhanced data from MBSA, WindizUpdate will find more security patches needed for your O/S than the "other" website.
* If there is a security issue with a component that is not yet installed, it will not ask you to update it. For example, if you have not installed hyperterminal, it will not update it.
* It is not restricted to just Microsoft products. Software from other vendors can also be updated.
* Upgrading to the latest version of Internet Explorer is not considered a Critical Update!
* Works on Windows versions no longer supported by Microsoft -- Windows NT 4.0 and Windows 95
* Our plugin is not an ActiveX control.
* Integrated download manager with error detection -- you can cancel downloads at any time, and the next time you wish to install the cancelled update, it will continue from where it left off. Only corrupted sections of the file are redownloaded.

Disadvantages

* There is a delay from when new updates are released from Microsoft to when they appear on this site.
* If you're using Internet Explorer, you will need to use Microsoft's Windows Update site for updates -- this site will be of no use to you.
* You'll need to upgrade your browser if you're using MSIE 4.xx -- This site won't work, neither will Microsoft's.

http://windowsupdate.62nds.com/

Edited by mommabear, 07 July 2007 - 08:31 PM.

#4 windsock

windsock
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:47 AM

Posted 07 July 2007 - 04:51 PM

thanks for your help ill see what i can do with info

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users